1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

manual locking hubs?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Aug 1, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

hey everyone,
    i have an 83 chevy k10 pickup with manual locking hubs...now, when i am driving, it makes this wierd squeaking/shwooshing noise. my mechanic friend took a ride in it and said it was probably the manual locking hubs that needed to be greased since it increased with speed and stops when the truck is not moving. is this hard to do? how much time does it normally take? do you need any special tools? thanks!
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Manual hubs are easy to disassemble with basic hand tools--which ones depend on the brand of hub. Usually there are allen bolts and snap rings to remove.

As for whether or not that is your problem, it would be hard to diagnose without seeing it, so since it is an easy job, go for it! Inspect your front brakes while you are in there, as it is part of the same job.
  3. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

do i need to remove the wheel to do this or just use hand tools to undue the 5 or 6 tiny bolts and remove the manual hub and just grease it? what type of grease should i use? thanks.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Bingo, just the little bolts holding the hub on, use normal wheel bearing greese. I personally use Moly wheel bearing greese as a preference. Watch the order in which the springs are. Easy job- 10 minutes per wheel.

Your "mechanic's" diagnosis really only tells you it is motion related- u joint vibration is speed related, as is wheel bearing noise, tire rub, etc. While you're working on it check for any obvious signs of problems like oil on the inside of a wheel/tire showing wheel bearing/seal failure, rubbing marks from tires, backing plates for the front disc brakes being warped, etc. Even the discs being warped could make that sound. (tho you'd feel the pedal pulse)