1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual locking hubs help

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cward05, Sep 18, 2004.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello, I recently bought a 1983 chevy k10 1/2 ton shortbed pickup with a lift kit (not sure how much), 31" tires, and manual locking hubs. My question is what exactly are manual locking hubs? I just noticed them the other day, and was wondering what they were used for. I know that they have something to do with 2wd and 4wd and the driveline spinning, but that is pretty much it. I don't know if they are engaged or not, and if someone would be so kind as to explain what they are and how/when to use them, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

what they do is lock you front end so that when you put in 4x4 the front wheels are getting power if not locked when you put in 4x4 you will still be in 2 whell drive. keep unlocked till you need them like going out plowing or the roads coverd in snow even though you may not atthat time need 4x4 you might need so alls you need to do is engage 4x4. but if you are just driving with no need keep unlocked save front end wear and gas milage. by the way great truck had an 83 k10 long bed truck was Fun.
  3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Engaging them will connect the hub/wheel to the axles. Engaging the transfer case from inside the truck will drive your front axles, but not the wheels if they aren't engaged. Sorry, your post wasn't up when I started mine.
  4. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks guys, it helps to know how they work for the plow season. But if I just lock them from outside and keep it in 2wd its still ok?
  5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yes it is o.k but dont leave them locked all the time. only when you expect to need them. like if you are going to go off road or plow or the roads are snow coverd.
  6. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Locking hubs allow your front end to "free wheel" when unlocked thus increasing gas mileage slightly since you are not spinning the gears and axles and front drive shaft. When you lock them in they complete the front end and engage the wheels to the front axles, gears, drive shaft etc.
    By not spinning everything while road driving on the dry you have much less wear and tear on the front axle components.