1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manual Hubs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by derekbroerse, Jan 9, 2010.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

What generally goes wrong when a manual hub breaks? My '78s Dana 60 had Milemarkers on it when I bought it, one broke last year with a loud snap, yet anything I could see inside was intact. Only changed the one. The second one broke yesterday, also a loud snap... pushing in a straight line with a small amount of snow. Again, nothing visible broken, but it sure doesn't work! Now it has a pair of Warn hubs with a lifetime guarentee against breakage... but still leaves me wondering.
  2. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

Did you pull the hub apart? That should tell you. Last one I broke the housing exploded.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

only real hubs i like for dana 60 are the good old school factory spicers.

i have 3 dana 60's and all 3 have spicers installed. to offroaders thay are the best other than drive flanges. and you can cut them to 35 spline for the dana 70 stub shaft upgrade. and thay are stronger than the 35 spline warns.

fyi the only diffrence from std duty to premium on warn hubs is the dial. the rest is all pot metal basicly.

spicer 60 hub 001.jpg

spicer 60 hub.jpg
  4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Ya my '82 still has the Spicers, still work great. The '78s Milemarkers were nice looking stainless hub covers and all, both broke the same way though, and yes I had it apart and couldn't see anything--thought maybe something in the cap breaks internally where you can't see it?
  5. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

The mile markers I had didnt last long. Seemed like the housing was maybe a little softer than it should have been. As far as something in the cap failing, its possible I suppose. Come to think of it, I had a set (forget the brand) with a plastic cap/dial. They got to the point where the threads on the inside (where it pushes the collars together) wouldnt do their job any more. Hope that makes sense. Its hard to describe without pictures.