1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

manual hubs

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bel-nor, Nov 26, 2012.

1. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

I am considering purchasing a truck for the business duties lawn care and some plowing. The choice would be a Chevy ck3500 chassis or Ford f350 either with dual rear wheels, and 4x4. My question is for the operaters of the Ford, that is how do you operate in the winter with pushing snow and manual hubs. Do you engage them at the first job and disengage at the end of that job or the end of the day.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Leave them locked for the winter. Just remember to disengage the 4x4 if the ground is dry.
  3. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Yes, or however you want to do it. You lock the hubs in, and just use your 4x4 selector in the cab for go from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive.
  4. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I usually lock them in at the first snow and lock them out in April. Won't hurt a thing.
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

My hubs are lock in all winter long
  6. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

Thanks .....that was painless!
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Did we mention that Fords tend to rust together,or maybe not say anything about that.:D
  8. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Remember to keep them greased or you will b replacing u joints
  9. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the one thing leaving them locked all the time will hurt is the gas mileage. it will also spin the ring and pinion gears for no reason, which will cause unnecesary wear to the gears and bearings - granted it will be very, very minimal.

i lock them at the begining of a storm, and unlock them at the end of the storm. why drive around with the hubs locked on a dry road where you will not need 4wd? there is a reason they are designed to be locked and unlocked.