1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

manual 4*4 engagement

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Hey guys,

Anyone know if there is a kit available for a 97 chevy k2500 that converts my truck from electric to manual 4*4 engagement? Any info on this would be great

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Look around on Fullsizechevy.com and Pirate4x4.com. If you can't find something about it on either of those it probably isn't made for the 4x4 industry.
  3. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Posi-Lok manual 4x4 engagement...Search for it...
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Alright, i found this site.... http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_chevy-k.html it says it's for a vehicle with the "thermal linear actuator"...is that what i have? I thought that was what is on the old style with the floor shift 4*4...if this will work for my application i'll definitely be buying!!

Am i correct that i still need the standard 4*4 buttons to do something else (lock hubs...engage t-case?) I am a big fan of this manual engagement if it works!

5. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

the posi-lok is to get rid of the vacuum actuator that engages the front diff. but you would still have the push button 4x4.
    that's what you want to convert, right? from the push button, to a manual t-case lever?
    I don't like the electric style of engagement either. I'd probably start surfing through junkyards to find the right parts.
  6. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

on the newer trucks i think its great, havent had any problems with it at all, and it goes QUICK. had a 97 k2500 and it took what seemed like forever in those things to get 4x4 going, and sometimes it would just go back to 4x2 because it wouldnt engage and id have to hit the button again. i wasn't too impressed. and as far as the manual engagement goes it sounds like it would have to deal with a different t-case because of the totally different style engagement, and cutting holes in the floor for the shifter and linkage etc. good luck, theres nothing like the positive feel of knowing that you are in 4x4 for sure!