1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manhole? Cops? MY TRUCK!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by N2VSB, Sep 1, 2004.

1. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

Ok... Here Is the Deal... Last January we had a storm here and I was on my way to an account and I saw a lot of flashing red lights. So I slowed down to see a lot of cars spun out and stopped with a lot of cops standing around. So I did the usual looking around to try to find out what happened. None of the cars seemed to have been involved in the same accident but they were haphazardly scattered around the intersection I was about to roll through. As I looked around to make sure all was well....BANG....BANG..... :dizzy: :dizzy: What the heck was that. I pulled over to the side and got out to look at what happened and found that nothing appeared wrong with my truck. But upon further inspection of the street, The manhole cover was missing. I had just driven right through an open manhole with my left side tires. (Please Remember, I have a 7.5' plow on the front) I went around the block and saw the City workers finally putting up some flares and a orange road construction barrel over the hole. So I stopped and told them what happened and they told me to go to the Police station and make a report. (I did) Since then I didnt notice any problems. I started to do some routine maintenance (Brakes) on my truck last week, and when I jacked up the truck and shook the wheel from top to bottom it would appear that the Wheel bearing is gone/broken. I assume it would be from the Manhole, has anybody expericenced this and what was the end result? Did the City Pay for the repairs, or did it come out of your pocket? Should I submit the bill to the city? Will they pay?

Thanks for all of your help?

Todd

2. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

the same thing happenend to me. But it was summer time. Cannot remember the costs but the city paid to have the damage fixed. I had to pay my deductible though. It was my right side and nobody was around when it occurred. No brake problems just body damage. A police report was taken and it was not a problem having them pay for it. It helps when you are from there and they know who you are.

JP

Last edited: Sep 1, 2004
  3. crewcutenterprises

crewcutenterprises Member

Sorry to tell you, I doubt it.

I ran into a bridge gap with my car when the county was stripping the tarmac and repaving. well dented rim blow shock and a dent in the unibody of my car... welll no $$ from the county. just $700 in parts to fix my car...

O and about the wheel bearings.. I had mine replaced too. Bearings were like 200 installed but the biatch was that the axel shaft was worn from the bad bearings so they replaced that also.

4. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I doubt it...

If it happened clear back in January and you just found the problem now, I think you are SOL. If you would have found the damage maybe a month after the incident, I'm sure they would have paid up.
    The city's insurance company will find any and every way to not pay you. Also it is on a plow truck, I will guarantee they will say it is wear related.

We are all at the mercy of the insurance companies.

Good luck,
    Mark K

5. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Unless you havn't driven the truck since the pot hole, I find it hard to beleive that it was from that.

If you blew out thte wheel bearing that long ago, there would have been a large mechanical failure in the whole frunt hub/axle assembly, not to mention one hell of a vibration and wobbly suspention while driving.

A wheel bearing is a common wear item. Sorry to say, its just another maintance issue.

6. N2VSB

N2VSB Junior Member

I suppose that I should have checked it when it happened, but again nothing appeared wrong. Just as a side note, this is not my daily driver, if I put 200 miles/month on this truck, I am doing well. Anyway, I went to NAPA and bought front brake pads, rotors and the wheel bearing/hub assembly. I figured like 300 bucks for everything. Ha Ha Ha Not even close, it was more like 500 bucks for everything. Oh well I guess that it is better that im looking ahead and preparing for winter before winter instead of during a snow storm! :) Anyway, I have called the city to see if there is a possibility to get some money out of them. We Shall See! I will keep you updated. Thanks for all your help.

Todd