1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Manditory Semi-Annual inspections

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Squires, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

I know GM offers this BS, but is it manditory?
    Guy from the stealer just called said im over due for this inspection where they check fluid levels and air pressure. He said its manditory to keep the warranty valid, is there any truth to this?
    My truck has already been through 2 of these wastes of money and they want a 3rd with only 32000km's. :dizzy:

Anyone know if these are actually manditory or just a cash grab for cash straped dealers and company?

thanks in advanced

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

you dont have to pay for these inspections do you, or for everyone one they do they get paid by GM. If you have to pay for I would tell then to F oFF>

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I can guarantee you that up to a 2006 this was not the case at all.After that,I really doubt it.I do believe if GM is saying it's necessary for the warranty,then they would have to offer that service free of charge.I'm 99% certain they're BSing you and if that's the case, they should be reported to not only GM, but the BBB and the Attorney General ASAP.

4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Anyone else with a new rig that can shead some light on this situation?

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Is it leased? as for inspections. They just want to find problems and make money under warranty work. if its leased you may have to show it to them

6. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Read the warranty booklet that came with the truck! If it's not in there, you've nothing to worry about. Who owns the truck, you or them? If they didn't give you a warranty booklet when you got the truck, then they're clearly up to no good!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

If a product is sold toyou with a warranty then your obligations to keep the warranty agreemetn is clearly spelled out in the warranty agreement. If a maintenance inspection is required under the warranty policy in order to keep the warranty valid, then it should be a free inspection...you should not be financially responsible for maintaining your warranty on an ongoing basis.

I'm gonna say no way, this is a stealership smash and grab cash thing. The guy telling you this is probably under direction from managment to increase revenues or someone gets the axe, but doesn't realize he's probably violating the law in some fashion.

8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

If it's a lease then you may be obligated through your lease contract. As for GM if it's not in your warranty book then your clear.

I have a NBS and there is no requirement. Yes I have the extended warranty through GM. BUT they should find a few hand full of TSB's they could get paid on for these trucks.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I think it's all bs.

Nothing similar was mentioned when my dad bought his 08 1/2ton or some friends bought an 08 3500hd dually.

10. Squires

Squires Senior Member

I looked through all the paperwork i have cfrom the contract, can't see anything about them being manditory.
    The only thing ive seen saying so is a dealer printed 3 fold pamphlet. On that note if it is in the contract, shouldn't it be the same price for the life of my contract with gm, as the price has been ever rising since i got it.
    Here is what they do:
    Check seat belts
    throttle
    trans fluid level
    Air cleaner
    coolant strength and pressure test
    check break lines hoses, rotors drums, calipers whel cylinders, park brake
    tire inspection
    wiper blade condition
    suspension and steering
    a whole load of nothing really, and on another note they told me i needed a brake inspection( on top of what is apparantly included in the semi-annual one)

Last thing to check is the owners manuel

11. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

take it in let them fix what they want then say thankyou..
    there is no way they could collect from you for warranty.
    you do own it dont you? read what you sign...better yet sign nothing.
    they collect from gm.
    i've always be a gm guy but they are starting to suck....
    jmo
    :gunsfiring:

12. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

Well now that nobama has taken over GM (government motors) who knows what kind of crap they will pull.

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have owned 2 new GM trucks and a GM car (wife) and have never heard of this. I think their yanking your crank.

14. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Just got word from a credible source at a local dealer that it is by no means manditory and that when the dealer that he works at calls about the car he bought for his wife he hangs up on them.
    Said it might be good for the first few up to around 30,000 km's as if you had a brake problem such as warped rotors or something then they might be warrantied ( if you were having these inspections)

thanks for the info, and hopefully this saves some people some money in the future

15. 05Duramax073

05Duramax073 Member

This is the craziest thing I have heard of. I would not take it there for these frivolous inspections.

16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

BS none of my trucks go back to the dealer except for warranty repairs