1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Management companies?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hatchmastr, Nov 6, 2013.

1. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

hey guys,
    im trying to find more work for this winter , i picked up a couple extra accounts this year but i can handel more cuz i baught two dump trucks this year and i need to find some work for thm and my guys this winter ...

i was reading here about brickman and merit managment companies i geuss that they sub contract jobs out ...

what are the pro's and con's of dealing with these type of companies.??? and does anyone know other companies that do this in the long island area
  2. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Really no pros.
    Cons include low pay, basically all they are is brokers. They take a large percentage of what the site pays and give you very little. All responsibility and lliability s on you. They can choose to not pay you for any number of reasons. When they do pay, some companies make you wait 30-45 days for payment. It's a big risk, so read any contract you are about to sign carefully.
    Disclaimer: I have worked for them and will again if the numbers make sence.
  3. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

What he said...X2!!
  4. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

X3. I also do work for them but the numbers gotta make sense and I still know they are making big for doing a slow shuffle of paperwork.
  5. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I have worked for Brickman for the last 2 years doing both Landscape and snow. What the above posters are saying is true. When it comes to payment, it varies. It will depend on who the main CO is that you are working for/at. I never had much trouble getting snow payments while doing Lowes. On the other hand, payment for Lowes landscape work was crazy! One month it was on time, the next it was 60 days late because Lowes would change their policies and then hold payment to Brickman until it was properly implemented.

Remember this: No matter what service CO you work for, they will NEVER send you your $$ until they get theirs. Since it is a national account, if Lowes is having issues in OH with Brickman, they hold payment for ALL the stores in all states until it is fixed.

I also do Knowledge Universe locations for Brickman. I have NEVER had a late payment for these accounts. Same deal with Home Depot. Payment is always there. I even got paid on a big work order (quite a few thousand $$) in 30 days or less.

On the other hand, if they offer you an account that requires you to have the store manager sign a work order for every job you do, RUN! do not walk as fast as you can from this type of setup. I did a few Weis Markets locations last year that had this setup. Manager would sign that I cut the grass. I would scan it and submit to Brickman. Brickman would take it and send it back to Weis who would in turn send it back down their internal chain to the same manager that originally signed it.

He/she would then sign it a second time to verify that the ticket was genuine and send it back up the chain to corporate. Weis would then add up all the tickets that they had for that month and pay Brickman. If your ticket happened to be in that bunch? Brickman got paid. Since Brickman only cuts checks usually once a month, you would get screwed if it came in on the 14th and the checks already went out on the 13th.

I had some tickets that were paid after 120 days!!!!!! Sometimes they got "lost" and I would have to re-submit and start the process all over again. What a PITA! For what its worth, I always got my $$. Ask me about Merit in 6 months or so. By then, I should be able to give you my opinion on them.:D
  6. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

^ Good Write up, who has Weis now? I chased 4 Advanced Services around last year to get a new wise location, but they went with a local contractor who had another store in the area
  7. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

Thanx guys for the info ...... I applied to brick man and verit let's see what happens I of coarse will only do it if the numbers are worth it ..... I also just got back a contract that I raised the prices 30% this year lol can't complain with that
  8. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I have no clue? There was a guy driving here from 4 towns away to do it this year? He was driving at least 35 miles to get there if the area code on his phone # is right? And not because I was the prior provider, just because I know good work and bad, the work was sub par in some areas.

We trimmed the bushes 3 times a season, he did it once. There were a few other little things that I noticed but then again, I am picky, Lol I would like to have them back. I did 2 of them for 1 season and it wasn't a bad place to work on.;)
  9. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I decided to bite the bullet and submit an application to Brickman. I've only dealt with one other PM company which was a total waste of time after a bunch of hoops so I canceled my services.

I noticed with the information to have on hand, one is references. I honestly don't like the idea of giving out my contacts for some pretty large chains we service. Looking to do some work on their accounts, not offer up mine on a silver platter.

How do you guys go around this? Seems like an easy way for them to slide in and take over accounts while getting you to sub for them.
  10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I don't think nationals ate concerned with the local dentist office or jewelry store. Not any money in it for them. There's nothing stopping them from calling them now. Their number is online. So just don't give your big customers as a reference.
  11. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

I've got 27 of a fast food chain, hence my reservations. Guess they will get references from some of my low end accounts.
  12. hatchmastr

hatchmastr Senior Member
    from 516

I was also concerned when I saw that,,,,,,,I gave them a couple of my good residential clients for landscaping I geuss we will see what happens im sure there not worried about taking a 400 a month landscape from me lol.
    hopefully i can get some work out this in the end ...
  13. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

Asking for references?

This must be something new? When I started with Brickman 2 years ago, they never asked about other CO's that I do work for or with? I do know that in the last 2 years, the area supervisor for my locations told me he fired at least 4 contractors mid term for poor work. I took over 1 of them for him.

Some of the other account managers that are stuck at a desk all day told me some real horror stories! At one location, they hired a guy to do a fairly large lot for snow (over 4 acres). When he applied, he told them he had all kinds of equipment, sidewalk crew etc.

When the first snow hit, he showed up in a 1970's CJ5 Jeep with a 6' plow. It broke down 20 minutes into the job. The sidewalk crew was his 77 year old dad. I guess the store manager called up to complain because when he got there to open the store, the moron was trying to clear the lot with a 33" walk behind blower and his dad was still trying to shovel the walks. I guess that would have taken a little while to get that job done huh? Lol:laughing:
  14. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo