1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

man. or auto. transmission

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PRO PROPERTY CA, Jul 19, 2005.

PRO PROPERTY CA Junior Member
    from sarnia

what do you think about manual transmission for plowing. I only do a couple of small lots during the winter. Not a big time plower.
    thanks mike
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Preference. Most guys plow with autos for the ease of it. I have plowed both and prefer a standard.

PRO PROPERTY CA Junior Member
    from sarnia

i figured, a manual transmission would be cheaper to repair then a auto tranny.
  4. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

atuo unless you like a tired left leg at end of storm
  5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

have both

each has some good points and bad points I have both but the rig i drive is man I can do some things that the auto's cant and for the sore leg thing fix the clutch linkage guys ive plowed over 20 years with a stick and never a sore leg try some lube guys ........
  6. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

In cars some manual Trans. are more expensive to repair then a automatic trans.
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

True, but in most vehicles, the Auto will give up the ghost loooong before a manual will. (meaning repairing the auto multiple times to a single standard- and 9 times out of 10 the manual is way cheaper to fix)

I agree also- fix the clutch linkage- or drive that stick more often. Never had a sore leg from shifting here.
  8. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Agree with Justme! - Autos are good but I prefer a manual all the way! I still think you get a better feel for what your truck is doing with a stick.

Durability is about the same in my opinion since lots of guys are ramming their automatics from reverse to drive/low without the vehicle being completely stopped and that's just as bad for a vehicle and trans as a bad manual trans driver.

Don't know about the repairs since I've never destroyed a manual trans (well, there were a few but they were behind big blocks years ago...). I used to rebuild them and x-cases so to me they are intimately less complex than the average computer controlled automatic.
  9. yooper.mi

yooper.mi Senior Member

I think the driver has more to due with repair costs then the trans. type.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i use to plow with a manual . its alot cheaper and faster to replace a clutch
    the rebuilding an auto . however several yrs ago we plowed 36 hrs straight
    when i got home couldnt climb out of the truck my left leg was numb