1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Man Killed While Loading Salt

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by eskals, Dec 14, 2000.

1. eskals

eskals Member

I just saw this on the news:

A 41 year old man was operating a bobcat with one of those salters on the front in a large parking lot in Bloomfield, Michigan. He went to reload the salt, pulled up to the truck and climed out onto the spreader. As he did so, his foot caught one of the hand controls and raised the boom. Appaerntly, this caused him to fall between the boom and the truck. He was crushed to death. The police are calling it a truely freak accident.

Be careful out there.

Eric

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers Member

Sad to hear that. He must have had an older machine or had the safety switches disabled though..

3. eskals

eskals Member

I found a bit more info.

Copied from clickondetroit.com

"Bloomfield Hills police said that Guillermo Jimenez, 41, was driving a Bobcat loader around 6:15 a.m. in the parking lot of the store located on Maple and Orchard Lake roads. Jimenez was apparently loading salt from the spreader of the Bobcat onto a truck, when he left the Bobcat running. He reportedly started to climb out, when his foot hit the floor control pedal, raising the arms of the bobcat. Jimenez became pinned between the cross members of the arms and the roof of the Bobcat, according to police."

Eric

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers Member

He must have been pretty tall!!

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

They shoulda sprung for that spanish version of the safety video for Bobcats.

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Thanks John, Needed a good laugh after the wash-out here last night!!

7. bdemir

bdemir Member

Thats one mile from my house. i drive by there almost everyday. Hey im a local what can i say!
    Just joking. Sorry to hear that.

bdemir