1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Man hole covers and the like

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Banksy, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I wacked plenty of man hole covers yesterday and I hate how the truck pauses and the blade jumps in the air.

Do the full blade trip plows handle these better? Obviously mines a trip edge.

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

im not sure, are you plowing parking lots? streets? how fast are you going? most of the time slowing down helps. i did get one tip from a guy on here to back drag of the area at a gas station were the filling caps are...actully works really well the plow rides over the caps

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i hit a couple sewers and they suck, gotta plow the lots some how. i tried slowing down and it didnt help now i know were most of them are and shovel around them before plowing. takes a littlemore time but save the truck and plow!

elite whats the trick to back dragging them?

4. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Trip edges do react more violently than full trip. That being said, you'll learn quick where the imperfections are.

I'd still rather have a trip edge though. They don't fold as readily when your trying to carry large amounts of snow, or while doing roads.

5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea full trip IMO is better for those. It sure as hell wakes your azz up though when you snag one!

On gas stations you can do it either way. I go forward and do it....most have a tapered edge so you can ride up it and not clip the cap. Dont go balls out when doing it and you will be fine.

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

if you have a general idea on where the lids or covers are..before you plow anything else, go over to that area, and slowly back drag and pull the snow over the top of them.. because of the angle of the plow it will ride up and over the covers easier...once you clear over them and you can see them...then plow around them

7. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Unless you have a hinged back drag blade like me, which might complicate this technique.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I was sent to a shopping mall yesterday for the first time and I had to learn the hard way where the hazards were. After I found them, I slowed down for them. The fastest I hit one may have been 15 mph at most. I hate hitting those things. It feels like the truck is going to break in half.

9. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I was always told and read that a trip edge barely moves except for the "trip" when going over objects?

Now some of you are saying it almost stops the truck and is a violent bang?

10. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

There's a mili-second pause and violent bang. It scares me everytime.

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Roads I can't comment on, but they don't really trip in heavy snow either, unless you are doing something stupid.

12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Actually I have more of a fetish for hitting fences with trees when I cut them down!
    Still haven't hit a drain cover.

13. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I launched one last week off of a sanitary sewer that backed up and pushed the lid up a couple of inches. Wasn't pleasant, and got a nice big splash of black when I reset it. Took the asphalt out around it too. I'd hate to be one to deal w/ that rebuild.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Roads are not a problem either.

Trip edges do save transmissions though.

15. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

id say invest in a boss v plow and not worry about it. i hardly trip my plow over and when i do its not like it is going to hurt me or the truck. it just lays down a little on some big long pushs in a gravel ups yard that i have.

16. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I think my next plow will be a Boss-V, but I don't have a second truck. I'd like to buy something this spring for cheap and work on it all summer.

I have come to hate plowing in my truck, but I still love the truck itself.. I need an automatic and a regular cab.

17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

The sewer lid that I moved was w/ a Boss vxt...

18. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

invest in a rubber cutting edge they have saved my kidneys for 7 years now :redbounce:redbounce

19. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Most of my years plowing was with Westerns. After we got the medium duties, they had MC Fisher 10'. Once in a while when doing roads with heavy ice pack, they would trip, and you'd have to slow way down for it to reset. Not a huge issue, as the Westerns just folded over, and there wasn't much you could do to prevent it.

But then again, I was only the lead driver for a production based company. I always rode the ragged edge of getting **** done, and breaking ****. I've never smoked a trans, or had an insurance claim in 13 years.

20. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

Care to explain how they "save" transmissions? Either way the shock goes threw the truck just as hard.