1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Man gets killed by plow truck.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Feb 4, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Any word Chicago guys?

WAUKEGAN, Ill. -- A 34-year-old man was killed by a snow plow Jan. 22 as he walked to his car in a parking lot in north suburban Waukegan.

Miguel Gonzales of the 1100 block of Ridgeland Avenue was struck by a plow around 6:15 a.m. in the parking lot of the apartment complex where he lived in the 3100 block of Grandville Avenue. Gonzales "was apparently on his way to his car when this happened," Lake County Coroner Richard Keller said.

Police say the truck's unidentified driver backed over Gonzales with a 2001 Chevrolet C3500 and crushed him while clearing snow. He suffered multiple injures to his torso and neck, Keller said.

Police are still investigating and no citations have been issued, Waukegan Police Cmdr. Wayne Walles said. Police determined that neither drugs nor alcohol were involved.

The driver of the truck and the name of private company he worked for are being withheld.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Its scarey all over, you have to watch everything all the time, night and day. Espically in an appartment complex.

3. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

exactly why i have a **** load of flasing lights. backup beeper and HID reverse lights. gotta have those bright reverse lights.

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Yep but all that still dont mean ppl think LOL

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

The driver can only see so much, there has to be a little bit of "Self-Preservation" involved when walking around machinery of any type. I swear one of these days I'll hit someone at the big grocery store I take care of, they just wander around like Lemmings.... and suddenly you just happen to see one 3 feet away walking out from behind the truck...

Do they really think we can see them? Im my case, its a dump truck carrying two pallets of bagged salt.... totally blind directly behind the truck...

6. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

People just don't think anymore. They see you, and they think you see them. Not like we have a million other things going on at the same time. Some people are just clueless. Sad story here but man people just have to be smart when they see plow truck out there.

7. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

I havent heard about this but this is a pretty big area.

Sux someone died but this is the reason that i go stupidly slow at the grocery stores i take care of. im paranoid this will happen to me. people are in and out like goldfish at feeding time.

8. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

Good to see I'm not the only one that plows with a 2WD truck.

9. gene gls

you have company........

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with the above statement but think people the majority of people need to be smarter in general when it comes to traffic. Parking lots of any kind are bad and some people just don't care who they walk in front of or gehind while a car is backing up or pulling in. :dizzy:

11. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

Common sense goes a long way as far as I'm concerned.

12. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Dang seems like you guys are blaming the victim here. The driver is at fault here period. You as the vehicle driver need to be aware of who/ what is around your truck at all times. You can't blame the guy for getting run over. I would bet the driver was going to fast and thought there was noone behind him.The only good that will come out of it is that everyone that reads this will use more caution. It's never worth killing/injuring anyone to get the job done.

13. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Agreed. Basically everyone here is admitting that they know people don't watch out for us or care about what we are doing....so we have to go into our jobs with this in mind and be extra careful. I have though about this being a possibility at our account that is open 24hours and is scary to hear that it has happened.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:The ped needs to take some of the culpability too.

If he was looking for traffic he would not have been hit.

These laws that give the pedestrian the right of way as soon as they step off of the curb is generating a "class of people" who think
    Hey! what do I have to worry about the truck has to stop for me!

screch,,,,bam I guess not.....
    dead is dead why take the chance.

Did he(the ped) look both ways before stepping out?

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A few years a go, a guy backed over a lady with his backhoe around 3 am in the morning, in a shopping mall parking lot. The lady was wearing a white coat and had mental problems, so the driver wasn't charged. The driver is friends with a friend of mine and his nerve's are still screwed. He just can't believe he didn't see her and he has had a very hard time dealing with it. I havn't heard anything about him in the last year or so, but I'm not sure if he can even drive a backhoe anymore. The next week we put backup alarms on every piece of equipment we own, for liability reasons. The backup alarm was the first thing they checked on the backhoe after the accident. to see if it was working.

16. gene gls

Its kind of hard to look in both mirorrs at the same time, but a lot of people think you can see every where at the same time. More than once I have had someone pull in behind me on my right side and blast their horn when I start backing up.

17. Young Pup

Common sense is not that common anymore. Now it has to be taught to people.

18. Young Pup

That is so true too. Even when not out plowing it happens all the time.

19. Danscapes

Danscapes Senior Member

I'm a Landscape Contractor and you would be surprised at the number of people that walk right up me as I'm using a string trimmer to edge a sidewalk. Sometimes I see them and stop, other times I have my back to them and dont see them till they pass me. I know its a public sidewalk and all but I mean really how stupid do you have to be to walk up to someone using a trimmer thats flinging rock and grass at high speed? This story is kind of like that, to bad the guy died though.......he had no chance to learn his lesson. Another thing that gets me is the jerks that park in front of or behind you when they can clearly see your trying to plow a straight shot.

20. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Pedestrian is AT LEAST 50% at fault here. I'd say 100%, but thats me. Your natural instincts should tell you to stay away from the danger, and if it starts heading in your direction, GET OUT OF THE WAY NO MATTER WHAT IT TAKES!

He can't have not seen the truck coming at him, what, is he a deer in the headlights, frozen?

Sad as it is, this is population control. Survival of the Fittest. Obviously, he wasn't mentally fit. :rolleyes: