1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Man am I really frustrated!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Craftybigdog, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Well it started this afternoon, see I take care of a church and they left a message on my cell today saying that the last bill was to high and that they now have someone to do it for free. So I said whatever I called the guy and he said that the last bill was to high and I said and we also got 8-9 in of snow and the parking lot is surrounded by curbs so you have to stack it well it took me over 5hrs by myself so I charged them 400.00 and I didnt even charge for the next day that I went and cleaned it up for them. Well before I got off the phone I asked if I was still cutting the grass this summer and he said they are looking for someone else, probably for free. I guess its hard because I ve taken care of this place for 2yrs and it looks great and they want to find someone to do it for free. Well I hope we get hit with 3ft of snow and let them remove it for free and to top it off its my church.

2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I notice a lot of hard feelings with churches around here,of the 3 in my town,two park on the sides of the road and the other is plowed for free by a member,i don't believe any of the lawn work is free though.

3. windmill

windmill Senior Member

Craftybigdog, free only goes so far then it starts to dissappear. I do some work for our church and charge for it when I get the cheque I send it back and they send me reciept for a donation. I like this method because
    1) you get paid for your work
    2) they realize the real value they are getting
    3) you get paid
    4) they get a donation
    5) ultimately they get it for free
    6) you get a reciept for a tax write off:) :) :)
    Everybody wins, the free stuff never works for long when it's hard work that needs to be done over and over again. THey'll be calling you back.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Too bad, Crafty. I got a call last week for the opposite situation, a church was getting their plowing done for free but it wasn't being done well or on time. They wanted to hire a professional, but it was too far away for me. I referred someone closer.

$400 for 5 hours work doesn't sound unreasonable.

I was Trustee at our Church, and every time the subject of snow removal came up, I always said I'd be unable to do it in a timely manner. I wouldn't have felt right about charging them, I've been going there since I was 5 years old, got married there, my Dad's buried there. We hire it out but I always swing by to check it after my route's done, plus I take care of salting.

5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I think Todd said it best when he said..."nice guys finish last" %hrs worth of work for 400 bucks doesn't sound like much. Don't sweat it. I too lost a good one to someone with a cheaper price. 1 hr before I was supposed to do it. Sign contract and all!! Still billed them for one push...but haven't recieved $$ yet.

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

How was your contract worded and were the charges described for them? They should have known what was coming.

7. Craftybigdog

Unfortunatley it was off word of mouth no contract but we had a turnover and a new guy takes care of the grounds and hes a little different but we will see what the future holds and to top it off the guys that said they will do it for free are to old guys in their 60's and I dont see that lasting long!

8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Craftybigdog

Not to worry

I lost the same 2 Churchs over the years twice :( to church members. Then the church calls & ask if I would come back as the freebee guy doesn't show-up all the time & doesn't do a real good job.

Another church I do bought a truck & plow to save $$$$ on snowplowing :eek: well after the first year they junked the truck & plow as it had a bent truck frame & the blade was twisted.:eek:
    They found out the hard way, not everyone should be a snowplower. ;)

9. Craftybigdog

Thanks guys this helps its just hard tryin to get a business going at get hit with this right out of the gate thanks for the support and I hope you guys have a safe and profitable winter!

10. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS.... I was in the same boat as you guys a few
    years back........If it was a little snow...a church member
    did it for free........Lots of snow a couple of feet...
    They wanna pay and cry they are poor! I tell them
    my truck payments, insurance, property taxes don't
    stop................I don't mind a little FREE community
    service......But ya have to draw the line if they want
    daily service............... SUCKS but true !....geo

11. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

This is your job

Bigdog and others that maintain churches (I have one church lot), We all have to remember that this is our livelihood and we have to get paid for the sudden service. I would bet money that a nice parishoner that dumped on their butt wouldn't feel bad about looking for some money from the "plow guy." If you want to volunteer your time after storms, on weekends, building playgrounds or what not I think that is commendable but you must get paid to plow!!! Good luck. Ryan

12. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

i don't do churches anymore.just for this reason.they cry about money when they drive around in BMW's.i had one church say oh will pay u this much to do it.my contract said 600 two lots for every 3 inches of snow.there like well will pay you 300.i saw there maintance man doing it with there lawn tractor 2 weeks ago.guess no body would do it for 300 or free.one time a od customer of mine worked in the church and he wanted me to bid out the lawn and snow plowing.well after i won the bid there was always a 100 missing from the plow bill and 75.00 for lawn service.found out he was taking the money.he took care of billing for the church so he was writing two checks.one for him and one for me.so thats why i don't do them.not even my own church.i go there for weddings and thats it.i wouldn't give them the **** off my ***** !!

13. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I feel bad for some of you guys. I have been taking care of a church grounds for 4 years and just started the plowing this year. I did all the yard maintenance for 3 years and was getting sick of the old guy they had doing the plowing, He would rip the grass up everywhere and yours truly had to fix it every spring. I was getting sick of it so I asked if they would take me on for the plowing and have one guy for all the maintenance. Luckly they agreed. I explained how he would plow all the snow in piles in front of the walks that I had shoveled earlier and also about the grass. I already had a contract with them so I just added the plowing and everything has been fine. I give them a figure for the whole year for everything, I break it down and price it all seperate and then put it together. Then they take it and pay me 2 times a month, so basically I am on salary. They don't take taxes out and they send me a 1099 at the end of the year as an independent contractor. So I would suggest that you make a contract on paper. So wether we have a good winter or not I still get payed, and that was how they wanted to do it. I told them I would rather just send a bill but they didn't want to. So I don't mind.