1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making Your Own Brine From Bagged Product

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Lightningllc, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Lightningllc

Lightningllc 2000 Club Member

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to make liquid deicer from bagged products (peledow for instance) ???
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

3. Lightningllc

I read that post everyone is trying to make salt brine. Im talking about taking products like landscaper's choice a mix of cal,mag,sodium,potassium and mixing it into a mix tank.

I have been told by many fert guys it can be done, I am sick of buying it from someone and never getting the same result's as another company ( no names ) but I think it is gotta to be like urea in a mix tank, I took a 55 gal drum and mixed some old extreme melt from flat rock bagging and it all melted there is no cal in it but it should do the same thing but fast than rock salt due to it being a crystal than a chunk.

If I buy the more expensive ice melter blends than the mixtures should be the same based on mixing it into a tank??

I am just wanting to try something new and am wondering if anyone has tried my idea with success or failure??
  4. Lightningllc

I asked the question about making your own deicer brine, Well I still am wondering if anyone has made it before out out bagged products, I think this question is being ignored because of the big industry of well brine. I think it is a good option to be able to make your products when you can or be incontrol of what your putting down everytime to be the same % as the time prior. I know you can make salt brine been there done that not for me, But a good bagged product with all the cholrides I think would cover all the basis of anti-icing / De-icing. Let me know!!!!
  5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

A friend of mine tried doing that this past winter. He has a 325 gal. tank and he tried 2 50lb bags of calcium flakes, the tank slushed up over night so he added another bag. The 3rd bag melted the slush but the "final product" didnt work too well. He added another 50lb bag and that seemed to get close to the same results as my brine I buy from a supplier. He ended up spending a bunch more money than I do for the same amount of material. I think the 50 lb bags cost was like 27.00 a bag x4 =$108.00 to make 300 gallons....my cost is half of that and then some.
  6. ChlorideGuy

ChlorideGuy Member

Woundering where you getting your brine from now. And why it varys in quaility so much? The steps we go through to insure every gallon is the highest quailty is very time consuming and expensive but we back it 100%. FYI you can make you own brine from baged product you will need heated water to melt the material. Thats the only way we have found it to work but it is very SPENDY.
    Not trying to sell you anything..... But our well brine has all 4 chlorides in it, Cal,Mag,Pot,Sod....... just a thought

7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Its very easy to do once you do it right, however people start to piss and moan when you talk about making your own brine. I have a 275 gallon pallet tank with a cage around it. I fill it to 220 gallons with COLD water. I then dump in 13 to 17 50# bags of 93% pure calcium pellets. I use an all plastic sump pump to stir it. Be careful as the tank will get very hot ( 140* + ) Try to find a thicker walled tank to mix this in. pm me if you have more questions.

KNAACK ENT. Junior Member

use 2.8pounds of cal flake to every gallon so thats 11.2 50lb bags i believe to 200 gallons
  9. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

What does your cost per gallon come out to on that? And how many gallons per acre are you applying on average?
  10. deicepro

What % is your solution?
  11. deicepro

.50 to .75 cents per gallon depending on the percentage
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How much is a bag of Cal Flake?
  13. deicepro

Not sure on the flake, I buy pellets from 9.50 to 12.99 depending on how many pallets I buy at one time

32% cal ,and a bag of flake cost me about $10.00
  15. deicepro

what is your sg at 32% ?
  16. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

we have done some of that and it worked but like every one said a little $$$$$$! It was not for us because they where free bags! Check out every option, some times if you just want 500 gallons it might be easy to make it then to try to get someone to deliver that little. Good luck!
  17. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Where are you getting the flake?

cal flake

Im pickig it up from my fs conserve they specialize in salt and fertilizer runs anywhere from $10-13 i buy a skid of it at a time
  19. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys I see someone has seen some old post of mine so here is the dry to water ratio
    CaCl2 2.8 lbs per gal =33%
    MgCl21.8 lbs per gal =21.6%
    Nacl 2.5 lbs per gal =30%
  20. Lightningllc

Well I used a bagged ice melter blend, Made 1500 gallons found that 2.5 pounds to 1 gallon of water works out. my cost for the product works out to $.33 a gallon. Very easy to make pour some peledow in the maker warm up the water and then mix the blend product I dissolved 1500 pounds of blend product in half hour. Just make sure there is a lot of pressure and move alot of water though the product.

We had black ice the other morning wow this product melted it fast I mean fast, I am very impressed with making my own compared to what I bought before.