1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making your own Bio-Diesel, CHEAP

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Did anyone catch the episode of "Trucks" on TV? They made Bio-diesel out of free waste fryer oil (vegetable only), added in some lye and methanol, mixed it up and presto- Fuel that is BETTER for your truck and cost about 70 cents per gallon. Wish I had bought the Cummings now.

Check this link to learn more, its cool stuff.
  2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Seen the show

I seen the show and it looks worth looking into.
  3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I am looking into it as well. pricing out product and such as well as talking to people that need to get rid of oil.
  4. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Whats this cummings you talk about? Is this something new I don't know about?
  5. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Its Cummins guys, this is the diesel Dodge offers in there trucks.
  6. All_Clear

All_Clear Senior Member

Most places have to pay to have their waste oil hauled off. So if your in the area and can do it for free, why not? Most will be more then happy to give it away. Another place you all my want to chack out for free oil are street fairs, festivals, ect... My father sells elephant ears and deep fried candy bars, ect... and he has to cart off his own used oil. Most of those guys would gladly give it away also.

Also if you had not heard the glycerin waste can be used as a good hand soap for the shop... Could be saving more money by using everything instead of just tossing out the so called "waste"

I saw this same setup on another site the full cost was about $2,000 which seems to be reasonable.