1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by oldmankent, Oct 31, 2006.

1. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I am going to make some wings for my snoway. They will be fixed scoop like prowings, but I can't decide if the moldboard piece should fit like the prowings fit of f they should fit tight up against the existing moldboard. I'm leaning towards the tight fit because it will look cleaner and the wings should hopefully trip with the rest of the plow. Any thoughts on this? I'm getting my ideas from these wings.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=7403 MSC8042_snowplowparts.jpg

wings.jpg

MSC8042_snowplowparts.jpg

wings.jpg

2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

What kind of wings are those - in the first photo?

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In the first pic... Boss wings

4. oldmankent

Could anyone tell me what the angle of the prowings are? and also maybe the maximum angle the wings on a Blizzard are? If you don't know what I mean here is an example. The Hiniker scoop plow has 20 degree fixed wings? It seems prowings and Blizzard wings are more.
    http://www.hiniker.com/snow_products/hp_scoopplow.html

5. cbsuperduty

cbsuperduty Junior Member
    from Iowa

I wanna say that I saw 40* are what Blizzards are but don't quote me on that.

6. Scott R

Scott R Member

Pictures above

Maybe I missed it, but who make the wings in the lower picture?

7. oldmankent

I believe I got that pic off the Western site

8. oldmankent

I was checking out the Blizzard Site, and it looked like they angled in quite a bit. I think I am going to go between 35 and 30 degrees with mine.

9. Scott R

Scott R Member

Angle

For what it's worth, I think the angle of your wing should be set so that when your blad is angled all the way to one side, the wing is running streight down the road. That way the wing is not "plowing" or kicking a small wind row out that side.
    At least thats how I'm building my new set, I welded up a set a few years ago using 3/8" plate and ran them at a 90 degree to the blade, they work great for scooping snow, but lack when doing parking lots due to problem mentioned above.

sr:cool:

10. oldmankent

I hear what you are saying, but I worry about the tripping action of the blade having trouble with something like that. If I hit something straight on the blade wouldn't trip. I guess what it comes down to, is am I looking for maximum length with some scoop effect or, should I get more scoop effect and not worry about getting the most length possible.

11. Scott R

Scott R Member

I think your going to have to answer that one, For me, it's more scoop, our snow here is real dry and light, rarly am I slowed by to much of a pile.

my 2 cents worth.

12. oldmankent

What I'm really trying to do is meet the two cirteria in the middle. If I set up my wings so the uphill (if you will) end of the blade is straight ahead I'm looking at a 60 degree wing or so. I think I'm going to max out at 45 degrees and go no less than 35 degrees. Somewhere in there seems good. have to stay under 8.5' angled while I'm moving around.

13. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

pro wings are at a 22 degree as far as i remember

14. oldmankent

Thanks for the info. The prowings didn't look like they angled in much. I started mocking up the wings yesterday, and it is going to be harder than I thought. The more angle, the tougher it is, plus snoway plows have a very round moldboard which adds to the difficulty. Still shooting for a 35-40 degree wing though.

15. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

Lets see some pics of progress! If it turns out well would you be interested in making me some. I really like the boss set-up I wonder how much they go for.

16. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I believe the boss wings are around 40deg.

Boss wings go for around $500 a set.:dizzy:

17. oldmankent

I really don't have any progress to post. I was figuring things out with pieces of plywood. I would be interested in making more, but they are probably going to end up being a one off type thing. The way I'm going is already getting too complicated. Plasma cutting frame pieces. Ridiculous. I am planning on making the wings integrated with the plow so they will tripp the plow, and have a real cutting edge. Lots of variables that will screw me up. Too much weight, too much torque for the trip springs, tripping will not work due to increased angle. I'll let you know how it ends up. I do want to attach the wings like the Boss wings attach with the round bar.

18. Scott R

Scott R Member

Never to complicated, make the sweetest set you can possibly dream up, do a good job and you might get the crowd fired up and wanting to give you $ 500.00 bucks a set.
    :)

19. WildRidge

WildRidge Member

That does seem like a lot of work. But why would you want the wings to trip with the plow? Why not have the thick rubber on the bottom like the others. If you hit something hard with the wing to trip the plow I think there would be a greater chance busting the weld that mounts the wings to the plow. You would have to calculate how much force it takes to trip the plow and then find out how much stress the metal can take under that under that given force in order to figure out how much support the wings will require. I like your idea, but it just seems like you are making this out to be 10 times harder than it has to be. I wish I had a welder and all the goodies to fab something like this up, I'm always up for a good RD challange.

20. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict