1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making the Front End Beefer

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Walkermowers1, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

im looking to buy a 2011 chevy sliverado with the plow prep package and the hevyy duty package and regular cab and 8ft bed. so the plow that im looking at is a boss standard duty this is plow that will suit me the best. so my question is how do you make the front end beefer to handle this plow? so can anyone help me with that?
    thanks
    Bobby

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

You getting a new HD? There isn't anything you have to do since the front end is already stronger than the previous models

3. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

The 2011 is much beefier than the 2010 trucks. I think a 7'6" standard duty would be like nothing for your truck. You could leave it stock and it would hold it great with very minimal (or no) front sag.

-Every part is new and better than the year before, and the frame is all new. The only carry over parts are the stabilizer bar links.

-Axle shafts are larger and I think have 8 bolts instead of six to secure it to the all new 9.25" axle in front, which is not a split case any more. Looks like a solid axle and has a differential cover on it.

-All new cast iron lower control arms, new upper arms, dual jounce bumpers.

-Hubs are larger, steering components are larger, including a new larger steering box. All the steering stuff gives better and stronger steering control and capability under loads.

If you are getting a 2500hd, front axle rating with plow prep is 5200 lbs with the 6.0, and 6000 lbs with the Duramax.

If you are getting a 3500hd, front axle rating with plow prep is 5600 lbs with the 6.0, and 6000 lbs with the Duramax.

If you are looking to level the front, you could put a couple of turns into the torsion bars. If you are looking to level the front without messing with the bars, a Cognito upper control arm kit would work great: http://www.cognitomotorsports.com/p..._Kits_-_Upper_Control_Arm_-_2011_GM_8lug.html

If you still find the truck sags with the blade on it, you can get Timbrens: http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/chev-gmc.htm

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

My buddie has an 8'6 pro plus on his 2011 SSCB and it doesn't even squat when he lifts the blade. Maybe a half inch, if that.

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What configuration is a SSCB? Must be new for 11':D Bet you meant CCSB same as the older trucks:p

6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

LMAO yep. OOPS :)

7. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

hey guys i forgot to add im buy a 1500 with the snow prep package and the heavy duty package on it.

8. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

9. Zigracer

Zigracer Member

I've got a 2010 1500 with the trailering and off-road packages. They give me many of the same options as the plow prep sans clearance lights. I mounted a Meyer ST Poly 7.5 ( weight is 738 complete) and the truck handles it all just fine. I did put Timbrens on after a couple of storms. The truck didn't sag much at all and the Timbrens just kinda touched it up.

I will say that if you're planning on mounting a heavier or larger plow, then go with the 2500.

10. jchart06

jchart06 Junior Member

there is a more expensive option as well, they are worth every penny though http://www.firestoneindustrial.com/riderite/products/lrinfo.shtml i had them on my 03 1500 for slide in camper and add a leaf on the back (truck handled the 9ft camper suspension didnt like it though) and currently have the bags on the rear of my 03 2500 hd LOVE THEM!!!

11. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

dont waste time with a 1500 hell the 2010 and back 2500's cant hold the weight of my boss v 8'2 go with the 2011 2500 and you will be happy not sorry from expereience too get the proper plow height i had too install the leveling kit and move up too 285 tires costing and additional 1300 doing it myself also note the 1500 use a coil spring strut front end hard too beef it up without spending alot

12. sd_truck_tech

sd_truck_tech Inactive

Bobby,

Whether we are dealing with 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton chevys, we always have great success with the timbren products in the front. GMFK15CA should work perfect for your 1500 if it is 4wd.