1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making of a brine and spray tanks

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by firelwn82, Nov 22, 2011.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I will soon "within a couple of days" be building a brine making machine and liquid sprayer tank. These are my ideas on both with somewhat of a parts list. All opinions are welcomed I will take some with a grain of salt. No pun intended

liquid sprayer drawing 3.jpg

Brine maker.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  2. Tbrothers

Tbrothers Senior Member

Is the spray unit going in a pick up? If so How do you get the spray bar 25 to 30in off the ground if your going into the receiver hitch? I have ford and the hitch is only 20in off the ground when its empty.

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Instead of dedicating 1 pump to the hose reel. What about each pump supplies liquid to 2 nozzles (dry boom). Put a 3 way valve inline of the supply to the boom. A simple turn of the valve and the liquid supply is diverted to the hose reel?

Brinemaker: Introducing water to the salt via tees above the salt will have a minimal effect on the salt. Example....when you start filling a swimming pool with a hose, the water is moving and splattering every where on the bottom of the pool. But once the pool fills up, the effect of the water hose is minimal at the bottom of the pool.....unless the hose is placed there. Put down pipes on those tee's and leave the pipe 2-3" up off the bottom of the tank.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Kubota, after talking to you I have a quick question.

You mentioned using a bucket as a well in the center of the tank with the pump in it to keep the major salt debris out of it.

Would a sewage pump work and just place it in the center and let it chew the salt or do you think that would damage the pump over time?

///

5. firelwn82

yes. I will try and get some pictures today. Get a pintle hitch and some u bolts, bolt 3/4" conduit to the hitch and put a quick disconnect on the the spray bar. Simple removeable and adjustable.

6. firelwn82

Very good point as usual Kubota. That does make perfect sense. Should I just run straight pipe or put 90's or 45's on the ends to try and get a swirling affect?

7. Kubota 8540

On the small brine maker that uses the IBC caged tote tanks mine are straight open end pipes about 3-4" up off the bottom. By restricting them from (1) 2" pipe down to (4) 3/4" pipes it increases the pressure and creates more turbulence in the bottom of the tank.

Just got back from the city DOT that bought the evil twin big brinemaker,, the guys were playing with it trying to get used to making brine the day after, I delivered and set it up for them. They filled their 5,000 gallon bulk tank and ran out of storage tank space after just a few hours. They said they really didn't get a chance to run it. They were making 23.5% 850 gallon batches every 15 minutes. Took about the same to pump the made brine and refill with water. So, not being used to it and trying to get a routine in place, they were making 1,700 gallons per hour. They were extremely pleased. :D

8. firelwn82

I was thinkng about that today actually...

9. Kubota 8540

A couple of pics of an 5hp electric, caged, Brinemaker. Gets delivered to Iowa tomorrow. Brine Maker Electric 005 (Small).jpg

Brine Maker Electric 016 (Small).jpg

Shows the top tank plumbing and down tubes. Standing on a handy built on step that sheilds the motor and lovejoy coupling.

Brine Maker Electric 005 (Small).jpg

Brine Maker Electric 016 (Small).jpg

10. firelwn82

How did you reduce the 2" T to 3/4". It almost loks like the T is built that way. I avent een able to find one though.

11. Kubota 8540

The 2 is reduced to 1.5 at the tee then 1.5 reduced to 3/4. The tee is 2x1.5x2, also used a reducing bushing

12. Kubota 8540

firelwn82

Have any progress pictures to post?

I have to start another 400 gallon tomorrow to ship out mid week next week to Randolph, Massachusetts

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  13. firelwn82

ah ok. makes sense. No I dont have any progress made. I did get the spray bar made up though. Been crazy busy thi week with the holiday. Hopefully next week I can grab the stuff I need and get this roling. Snow is on my heels.

14. Kubota 8540

Hubba Hubba lets see some progress pics, I didn't get my sprayer fix today.

15. firelwn82

Yikes.... I think you need some time away from sprayers and need to spend it with a lady.... ha ha.

16. pushinpaul

pushinpaul Member

Not trying to hi jack but Kubota, would you be willing to trade a couple of those totes in exchange for a the setup pictured above? I have access to a virtually unlimited supply for a very cheap price. PM me if you want

17. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

18. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Kubota: On the picture showing the valve sides, what is the purpose of the two lower shut off valves and the horizontal pvc fitting to nowhere?

19. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Im gonna go on a limb and say the shutoff with the green handle (on the left) is so that he can hookup a bigger storage tank. Maybe one that has a different type of liquid... Then on the one on the right he can hookup anther storage tank after the brine has been made to empty the brine maker.

Also the horizontal Pipe to "nowhere" is probably for Air. So if both valves are shut off for a short period while the pump is still on it doesnt burst the other shut off valves While under suction pressure....

20. Kubota 8540

The 2 green handle valves are so you can use the pump independently from the brine maker. Suck from 1 tank thru the pump to another tank.

Stub pipe? The buyer had an idea he might add a 3rd tote and 5 more over flows. I said good luck? Let me know how it works out. All he has to do is cut off the cap and continue with his add on plumbing.