1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making my own backup/buddy hitch light whatever you call it

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by TJS, Nov 18, 2009.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

There is no way in hell I am paying not even 50 bucks for a hitch light assembly. My buddy gave me these lights (free) and I had this scrap lying around. Made some tabs to "recess" the lights back a little and tigged them on. I will be making a protector for them as well. This also protects my trailer plug. It also will act as a step. I might put some parking lights on it as well if I can find them in my boxes of lights. I know these will eventually get smashed but hey they were free. I want to run a relay for the reverse lights though.
    T.J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

i hear this.....home fab all the way

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I saw your vid about the 7 pin charge wire harness. My 02 250 Superduty is a gas motor. So can I still use the "charge" wire for the relay main power in.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

4. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Beautiful welds TJS, really.

Nice stuff.

5. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

6. Dissociative

yes......charge is the same on the gasser..

7. Dissociative

that milk looks bad in the picture....

8. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

That looks good, nice fab work.

9. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

Beautiful welds, is that TIG?

I would like to get a tig welder sometime. I currently have an old Craftsman 220V AC arc, Millermatic 212 Mig, and Hypertherm PowerMax 30 plasma cutter.

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes it is tig. Done with a Miller Dynasty 300DX machine.
    T.J.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't taste too good.:D

12. overtime

overtime Senior Member

That's what my plan is to make my own. I am gonna just have 2 or 3 light to make it even brighter

13. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

what relay you using

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I think I got a 30 AMP bosch style laying around somewhere. I am going to wire it like Dissociative's video shows how. He posted it on this site somewhere.
    T.J.

15. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Nice fab work. How about some protection around the lights just incase you back into a snowbank :dizzy:

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Not done yet. In my original post I stated I will be making a protector. Did some more today. I did a full weld on it. I also found a GM LED third brake light I had laying around. I might put it below the lights on the protector "strap" I make. Does anyone know if the (BR) in the 7 pin connector supplies 12volts when the brake pedal is pressed. Or is this (BR) just for a brake controller to the trailer brakes where different voltage is applied from the brake controller to the trailer brakes. If so, then I will not run the LED brake light. I might just put some recessed LED lights in there. Next up wiring and paint.
    T.J.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. ShadmorePlowing

ShadmorePlowing Junior Member

TJS I like what you are doing!! I recently put auxillary reverse lights on my HD, and I don't like where I placed them (on the bumper, near license plate). I was thinking about making up a hitch style assembly, and now seeing yours it makes me want to do it more. When you are done, send me some pictures.

18. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

i still can not find the video and what is the part # to the relay

19. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

20. Dissociative

yep.....good to know you guys are out there doing this stuff.......

do it all yourself guys...its much better and way cheaper...