1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making money snowplowing in Missouri Pt2

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by tcdodge5000, Oct 30, 2009.

1. tcdodge5000

tcdodge5000 Junior Member

:bluebouncHello again all of my fellow snowplowers, I have been off here for a while working on some paying some bills. Last time I talked and asked about snowplowing in missouri. I continue my disscusion. I would like to dive in and find out how well residential snow removal is for you all. Here is my question;

How would you go about doing residential driveways and lots? Is there an order of priority that you would install to go with you service? Or would you inact the same scheduling and timelines for commercial snow and ice removal? What are your experiences with each type of service?
  2. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Stopped doing residentials about 4 years ago. Only commercial now. The few residential driveways we do are like the owner or manager of the commercial lots we do. The contact person I should say. If they ask I'll do it, but its nothing we sell.

Where in Mo. are you?
  3. purpleranger519

from Kansas

ahhh ....just saw the St. Louis
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I do ONLY res plowing. My customers want out by 7:00AM so they can get to work.

purpleranger519 How do you "Only commercial now" AND "The few residential driveways we do" :dizzy:

Thats Like "up to 50% discount AND more"?
  5. purpleranger519

from Kansas

As I said....we no longer SELL residential driveway removal. We have a "few" of our commercial customers that have asked us to do their driveways at their residence and we do, but we only take advertise, sell, and take calls for commercial.
  6. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Is it profitable?

We are in Kansas City-and I can say it is questionable as to being profitable. We service 15 large to medium commercial and about 30 residential. I have to admit we entered snow removal 15 yrs. ago to provide year around service to our lawn customers and protect our accounts. If you have the proper equiptment-back up equiptment and proper insurance coverage, its marginal with only 5 or 6 events per year. When you get a big year-stash that away for the slow years.

We treat our commerical and residental the same. 1 or 2" trigger and chemical applied. All accounts sidewalks are done w/chemical applied. No exceptions! Only way to ptotect against liability. We cannot compete price wise with the part-time plowers. We don't even try. If one of my accounts needs cheap-I have a 1/2 dozen names and #'s on hand.

The good news is plows last forever here!
  7. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

yeah there have been plenty of lean years. You need good equip and back up equip lots of insurance and then you may just sit. Most of the time we get few storms and spend more time salting which I find many rsidentials do not want
    as said by others I got into to clear my shop and keep customers but now I do almost no driveways. you can spend years cutting down your customers to the best then lose them all in one feel swoop.
    or you can be low on customers and take a usm job and read about how that goes. If you have fam and friends with property that u are guaranteed to get and keep then it is not bad. but if you try and compete with the big companies and management companies you will get run over. I already have my salt and only 50% of contracts back but one ice and they will start faxing them in. Happens every year. St. louisians are lame when it comes to snow. they think it wont happen and when it finally does the town is shut down but they all need to get out.
  8. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Where did you get your salt this year bag/bulk?price?
  9. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I got mine a while ago but there is buccheit, scotts, and straight from gunther. I hear these guys doing hannekees and sht like that seems like he had a good price not real sure. believe who you can on here.
    i have a huge warehouse and prefer bags so no idea bulk price but I paid 170 a pallet plus delivery so it came to 185ish a pallet for 50 lb bags.
    I have gotten salt from all of these seen a1 it is new and they advertise everywhere be careful with new companies most just rebag bulk and sell and you can get some real crap salt that you spend more time unclogging or breaking bags up. not that they do this or i have had experience with them yet. however this sucks at 3 am then you hit your foot with a block of salt.
    buccheit and scotts are more expensive but you have to be in real early for gunther and need a lot.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Our trucks run a "route" and make sure the customer's drive is done when THEY want it to be.
    If we have to go back then we charge them again.
    Most want out early to get to work.