1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making Money At This...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Starboyz66FTP, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Starboyz66FTP

Starboyz66FTP Junior Member
    from buffalo

i was just wondering , i am new to the forum and to plowing, i actually don't even plow yet, i bought a new truck and it came with a plow so i thought maybe i will get into it, i work full time as a contractor and things get slow in the winter, but with insurance and everything for plowing i am curious on average how much can i make plowing, mainly residential maybe some small lots. i know u can make as much as u want if u are willing to work, but assuming i work 25-30 hours at my regular ob, and only can plow a certain amount, what am i looking at here.... i know there alot of variables, but on average if u guys were working a normal job on p of plowing, how much od u average?? thank you

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to plowsite!

There really are too many variables to answer the question. Someone else may be able to help you more then me.

First issue is going to be how flexable you can be with those 25-30 hours a week at your regular job. If you are on your own schedule, your all set. If not, you may have a problem. No matter how much work you take on, your going to have to be responsible to those customers when it snows. Residentials provide a little more breathing room, commercials will want to be plowed right away. Iam assuming you have alot of people with plows in the Buffalo area, so that tends to drive down prices slightly, Id bet you would see many seasonal contracts out there as well. I dont know exactly what the market is like out there or what size driveways your talking about but an average driveway for me in surburban Boston is about $35 dollars for a 1-6 or 8 inch snowfall. It goes up for higher amounts of snow but I dont go up significantly, some do. Figure out how many driveways you can/want to do then go from there.

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, just to answer your question - The first two years I didn't make enough to cover expenses. The first year, I didn't even make enough to recoup the cost of the liability insurance (not including the vehicle insurance, gas, registration etc). And I had a completely flexible schedule - I could just get to work whenever I was done plowing customers. Yes, the customer base was there - I've done quite well the past few years. It just takes time to build up a business.