1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

making good use of a old small truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Iawr, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Iawr

Iawr Senior Member

We just inherited a 99 f250 xlt light duty with a 7.5' fisher. We plow commercial lots, and roads so this guy is a bit small for street use, and under powered for our lots. I don't want to.drop a sander in it and destroy the suspension.
    What uses have you guys put sall trucks to?

Snow blower hauler? Side walk truck?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Keep the plow on it. Use it as a back up, light clean up, haul snow blowers and salt around. Put removable wings on it and make it a 9 footer for those 2-3" fluffy storms.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Don't underestimate the old girl. Pop for some new (heavier) rear mains, put a poly caster on it, and use low range in the deeper stuff. Since you "inherited" the truck, the cost of springs should be looked at as a pitance to have another money-maker.

4. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yup sounds like a truck that should be put to work pushing snow. let it make you a few bucks.

5. Iawr

Iawr Senior Member

Well new problem that is setting me back with this little girl. Drove her home last night, and picked up some parts this morning. I pissed through fuel though, 66.7 miles on 3/4 of a tank... No fuel leaks, and she's not throwing and codes.

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Yeah.......something is BAD wrong. Fuel use like that should be easy enough to diagnose.
    That truck should pull down 12-13 mpg @ 55 mph.

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It can't be burning all of it and got to be going some place, I"d pull the dip stick to see if it's leaking through the intake and into the oil.

8. fozzy

fozzy Member

I had a f250 with the 5.4 and it got 9-10 miles to the gallon empty in the summer. Much worse in the winter. my mileage looked like that at times.:cry: