1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

making f250 a one ton

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cgillispn, Mar 19, 2004.

1. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

What is involved in turning an F250 3/4 ton into a 1 ton truck. I want to run a 2.5 yd. sander in the back next winter. Does that just involve adding another leaf to rears?

2. Manx

Manx Senior Member

What year ?
    Some years they were different and then some there close

3. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

You will want more wheels back there also. One set wont do the trick.

4. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

It's an '88 F250 single wheel. I have seen plenty of F350 1 ton trucks with 2.5 yd. sanders with single wheels, why couldn't I put the F350 (1 ton) suspension in there and use a 2.5 yd sander?

5. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a 1.75 and a 2.75. I have had the 1.75 on a 2500 SRW truck, its real heavy when full. Now I have the 1.75 on the 1 ton w/dual wheels and the 2.75 on the c4500 They both fit well. The C4500 could handle more weight.

My point I would not put anything larger than a 1.75 on a SRW truck, and it is still much too heavy when full.

6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have two sanders, both with 3 yd cap. One is in the back of my 99 F-350 dually, I usually load it all the way up, 6-7000 lbs, the truck handles it great. The other is in my 03 F-350 SWR, I usually only run about 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 yds in it because it is only a SWR. I run 4" of lift with 295-75-16's (rated at 3415 lbs per tire) and airbags F/R so I can keep the full height of the lift when loaded with sand and plow. I also have a 2 yd sander in the 97 F-350 SWR, I run 3" of lift and 295's with airbags all the way around and an add-a-leaf in the rear.

When the 03 was stock the suspension could handle the weight of a 2 1/2 yds, but I was limited to running only 1 1/2 because the tires didn't have enough capacity.

7. tuna

tuna Senior Member

Which F250 is it HD or LD .I have an 89 LD and it only has a 6700#GVW with a semi floating Sterling 10.25 rear axle.The HD will have a 8600# GVW with a full floating Sterling 10.25.With the HD you could beef up the springs and put longer studs on to accept Dual buds.

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

no matter what you do you will still be limited by the LEGAL GVWR ON THE DOOrJAMB you could put rears out of a mack dumptruck underneath it but you will still be limited to <15k

9. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Isnt there a way to have the truck re tested or re certified by the state when you do substantial modifications to it and have the GVW raised on the door jamb ??? I think its the DMV engineering dept ?? anyone done this ???

10. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX Senior Member
    from NJ

Well listen to this, on the gvw topic...... I cheked the specs on my truck with the spec book from ford and looked up individual compnents like axles and springs and such according to this the gvwr of an 250 is like 11500..... ( not inculuding stock 250 springs) but the axles are rated at that, essentially I found that my 250 has the same running gear as a 450 and some 550 stuff... just weaker breaks and springs.... but I do believe the 550 has a thicker gauge steel frame....... Has anyone tried doing any brake upgrades on these trucks like 4 wheel discs or a higer level setup from a 350 or 450 truck with same running gear ????

11. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I beleive that the F-350 DRW runs a Dana 60 front end, where the F-250 and F-350 SRW are Dana 50's (i think). The F-250 and F-350 SRW have Sterling 10.25", were the rear of the F-350 DRW is a Dana 80, the F-450 is a HD Dana 80 and the F-550 is a Dana 120. So the running gear changes alot, even from a F-250 to a 350 dually. But even with just the 10.25" in my 97 and 03 my trucks are more than enough to do the job day in and day out.

12. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I would think it would be cheeper to sell the 250 and find a DRW 350 or 450 to meet the spec. required to haul your sander,
    You may have to change tires, rims, axles, bearings, brakes, u-joints, springs, shocks, door tag and who knows what all.

13. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

i have actually decided a 2 yard is more practical. do you still think i need all taht for a 2 yard sander? or even a 2 yard sander with 2.5 yard extensions?

14. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

My 2 yard sanders with sand (wet) weigh in at about 5500 lbs. maybe you got lighter sand? now add the plow, and the truck, fuel, and you. now subtract the GVW. now call the state and ask what your fine would be!
    nuf said?

Dwan

15. DaleL

DaleL Junior Member

My '02 F-250 sure as heck has a DANA 60 frontend under it! :bluebounc :redbounce purplebou

16. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Dwan I agree with you 110%. Yes you can get your GVWR changed but it takes a specially licensed vehicle mfg. A regular garage can't legally do it. The best advice I have seen yet is to sell the 3/4 and get a 1 ton DRW or bigger. A 88 F250 has a Dana 50 TTB front and the 10.25 rear. Frame, trans, brakes, entire suspension, u-joints, GVWR rating are all going to need to be replaced or changed to legally haul the weight you are talking. Will a lesser truck do it? yes but if you are in a accident you can kiss your life as you know it good bye due to all the legal ramifications you will face. Not trying to rag on ya, just do the job right the first time and you will come out ahead in the long run.

17. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

I didn't end up buying the '88. I bought a '94 F250 HD. Does that still have all the same stuff as an '88?

18. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

In a nutshell........yes. Why didn't you go with a 1 ton dually or bigger?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  19. cgillispn

cgillispn Member

More money to buy, more maintenence, and more money to insure