1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making brine

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Mike247, Oct 4, 2014.

1. Mike247

Mike247 Junior Member

Can someone explain how to make brine in a 50 gallon drum?

2. CowboysLC_DE

CowboysLC_DE Senior Member

Yea, put a second 50 gallon drum next to it with a motor, pump and some lines connecting them. 23.5%

or just make your kids/wife be a witch for Halloween and stir the 50 gallon mix for the next month.

Check out Youtube for more specifics.

Michael

3. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Why do you have to be a dick? Why even take the time or energy to be an ass?

4. CowboysLC_DE

I'm not, a little October humor mixed in with the obvious answer. Use "salt brine" or "brine maker" in the search bar. Otherwise check Youtube for "salt brine".

But I did notice that you didn't even attempt to respond to his question.

Michael

5. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Because I was curious myself.....I have no clue that's why I am here, to learn.

6. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

He actually explained it in a nutshell.

7. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Thumbs Up
    Mmhmm

8. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

My apologizes I took your attempt at humor as dickheadedness. And also after watching youtube it was that simple. I must have just been in a craptastic mood yesterday

9. CowboysLC_DE

There may have been a bit of smart@$$edness in there. Quick searched on here and youtube will give you 70-80% of your answers (my opinion).

Michael

10. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

On youtube the guy was using 2 375 gallon totes now when the bottom tote makes it to the 23.5 % can you use the same salt for another batch?

11. CowboysLC_DE

There shouldn't be much left if calculated properly, I don't have the numbers around me at this second in time. But it could be kept in there..but it will need to be scraped out when you're done making your salt batches.

(someone correct me if I am wrong in this statement)

Michael

12. VS Innovation

VS Innovation Member
    from 56063

I see this is a very old thread, but I can offer some insight on the brine making process for you guys.

Our company has been using brine as our only source of de-icing now for four years. We have easily made over 150,000 gallons of brine since our start. The concept of making brine is very simple at a glance. The basic concept is as follows, salt is added to water, agitated in some fashion, and monitored until a brine solution of 23.3% percent is achieved. You will need to order a salinometer capable of reading 100 percent saturation levels (less than 75 dollars online). When correctly mixed, each gallon of water has slightly over 2.2 pounds of salt dissolved in it.

A pump will always be your best way of agitating this mixture. The design of your brine maker and the salt you use will greatly affect how quickly you can make a batch of brine. With the current brine maker we built, we can make 2200 gallons in just under 45 minutes (this includes loading time). We have also made smaller units out of 275 gallon totes that can make 250 gallons in under 15 minutes.

We always leave the leftover salt in our maker for our next batch. There is no need to waste this salt as it will dissolve when the next batch is made.

If you guys have any questions about making brine please feel free to ask!