1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making box blade wear shoes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by U1200, Apr 20, 2009.

1. U1200

U1200 Member

I need to replace some wear shoes on 5 box blades (pro-tech, avalanche & RCS) Has anyone tried to make their own or just buy them from a dealer? I wanted to have them longer to help with operators keeping them more level. I didn't know if I tried making them from mild steel if they would wear out too fast versus T1 material. Obviously mild would be easier to cut and weld but if they won't even last a season then there no point.

A side benefit would be making the shoes universal to fit the three different brands I have. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

wear shoes

There is a guy on e-bay from Illinois that will custom make them for you. His are also thicker then OEM. Sorry but I don't have his name any more. If you find his name let us know.

3. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

to repair worn plow shoes we take them to local weld shop. we have them weld /put a inch thick plate on the bottom of the shoes and cut the front edge at angle. they can make plate wider and or longer as needed....

last set i had done was like $50

4. U1200

U1200 Member

Thanks for the responses, do you know if the weld shop used hot rolled mild steel? If so how is it holding up?

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Do not use mild steel, we tried it once and it didn't even last the season. Go buy the flat bar yourself and get a mobile welder to come do it for you, that way you'll have someone to call when you have a problem in the winter with other things that may break.

6. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

i have no clue.... we had them on for 3 years now. there is still about half the pad they put on left. wider and longer makes it wear less because your spreading the weight over bigger area.

7. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Dont use mild steel, we use old cutting edges from our payloader buckets now these last pretty well a little ugly but the snow doesnt seem to care. But what do I know