1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making an x-mas present for a friend

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Gix1k4, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

A buddy mentioned that he'd like a headache rack for his dodge, but wanted the cross bars lower for when he loads his quad. His quad has an aftermarket bumper that fits between the bars on a store bought back rack, touching the back window. To make a long story short, I'm making him one so that the crossbars are at the same height as the quads bumper, to save his back window.

Here are a few pics, keep in mind that i'm no master welder...:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

Forgot about the 4 image limit...More pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. snowman79

snowman79 Senior Member
    from MidWest

looks good so far!

4. KCB

KCB Senior Member

I wish a had a buddy as thoughtful as you:salute:

5. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

As much as i'd like to take all the credit...it's a joint effort. His wife bought the material, and i'm supplying the labor.

6. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

Looks great, and from one non-master welder to another non-master welder, those welds look excellent.:D

7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

if you need any more practice feel free to send one my way, ill pay for the material ;) looks damn good

8. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Nice job!!! Cut back on the wire speed just a little.... What gauge tube are you using? Thinking about making one for my truck. What will you anchor it with(hardware)?

Chris

9. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

That's one of the better looking home jobs I've seen. For not being a 'master', those welds look strong enough.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out

10. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'm going to try and fab brackets similar to the original back rack ones, but i need to wait until he knows about the rack to get at his truck to trial fit everything. I had to take the measurements for the rack from a random dodge truck i found in a parking lot. I was waiting to get a beat-down from the truck owner....lol.

I'm using a Lincoln 180, 220V welder with .035 wire, and Praxair "Mig Mix Gold" gas.

11. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Yeah, looks real nice so far. good work

12. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

Nice job...the welds look like your getting enough penetration but you may want a little more heat little less speed...but that would be my style...jmo.....looks good though.

13. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

All I did was set it up according to the chart inside the welder, but I'll try that on some of the leftover metal. I have a feeling i'll be making at least one more of these. The hardest part of the whole thing was getting the end caps to fit just right.

14. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

You did a nice job with it.....not that it's critical on a piece like this but with some scrap weld up a 90 degree angle then put it in a vice and break it...if the weld breaks look carefully to see how much "heat" went into it...if it doesn't break the weld....Good job...it's usually harder to get a feel for those but just play with it....everyone has different speeds / styles of welding....I usually go fast so I like a lot of heat...ymmv....good job though.

15. redneck farmer

redneck farmer Senior Member

What are you using for a welder?

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Yeah seriously! Hope he appreciates it nice job man!:drinkup:

17. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I'm using a Lincoln 180, 220V welder with .035 wire, and Praxair "Mig Mix Gold" gas.

18. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

Sweet Job

I wish i could weld

19. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind Senior Member

That looks awesome. How far apart did you space the pillars pieces that run up? I'm going to try an make one trying to get some dimensions. Thanks

20. Doom & Gloom

Doom & Gloom Senior Member

Your a nice fella!