1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making a top screen for a 8 ft Vbox spreader

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ss502gmc, Oct 9, 2014.

1. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I bought a spreader last week that is missing the top grate. I can't find anyone that has any around me. Anyone have any suggestions on making one from scratch or maybe something that could be used in place of it? If I fab one up, what size should the holes be? I don't wanna use it without a grate as I'm already spending money on a new drag chain and clutch
  2. lfaulstick

lfaulstick Member
    from PA

to bad we are not closer i have 3 of them just sitting here havent used in years..when the spreaders were junk the other thing left was the screens
  3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

i have one from my old meyer that i junked . let me know if you feel like taking a ride
  4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Who's the spreader manufacturer? Can't you buy one from them? Your local dealer that sells that brand of spreader should be able to order one for you. OF COURSE, I'm sure the price will be half the cost of the spreader. If you did want to make one, I would think an angle iron framework with the 1/4" diameter steel screen would be able to be bought from a local steel company. Try checking with a local welding shop for where they source their materials. Good luck.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Any gravel pit or asphalt plant will have used screen that should work for a salter. Might need a little field adjustment to make it fit right but you should be able to get them for free or at least a case of beer
  6. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I may take you up on that offer, is it an 8ft?
  7. quigleysiding

Yes Is yours a meyer spreader. They fit into the spreader and both fold open . I can get a pic if ya want
  8. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

Yep, it is a Meyer stainless. A pic would be great. Thanks man
  9. quigleysiding

Its at my sons house Ill get a pic today
  10. rcnease

rcnease Member

My one suggestion is if you make it, look at the down easters and how they made their's half grates that fold over. They welded tabs on their grates at one end that would meet in the middle and then welded something like an eye hole piece (stainless) onto the spreader. This makes it so much easier to work on and to clean instead of trying to lift that one piece grate that has no where to really go but the ground. I have one of each and I am going to convert my one piece to a two piece.