1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

making a straight blade a pusher

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by accentlawn, Feb 19, 2010.

1. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

I'm making a Western straight blade into a pusher by boxing it off on the ends, adding scoops. I can't find anyone that sells turkey wings or scoops anymore. All I can find are wings.

Is 1/4" plate steel going to be thick enough to make the sides that box off the ends of the plow? Has anyone made their own scoops or made a pusher box out of a straight blade?

Mods, if this is the wrong area to post this in please move it to the appropriate one.

Thank you in advance!
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i would suggest you start by doing a search in the pictures section and the heavy equipment section, this has been done before, and pics all over if you know where to look. also 1/4 steel being strong enough depends on how large you are looking to make the ends, if you are going 3 foot high, 3 foot out, then i would say no, but if it is going to be something like 12inches wide, and 24 inches high, 1/4 plate should be fine.
  3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I put 1/4 inch steel on an old 10 foot county plow to make a pusher for my front loader. They were 40 inches tall, and I extended them 3 foot out. I just put a angle brace off of the center of the side, )new steel) directly back to the center of the plow, and made gussets across the top (12" by 12" triangles) and welded them to the top of the plow, and the top of the new sides. Then I took a piece of 2" X 3" C channel, and notched the sides, bent it up on about a 30 degree angle, rounded the bottoms, of the new sides, and welded on the skids. Worked great for 6 years, till I sold it as a package. The guy that bought it lives in Nebraska, and as of last year, he said he was still using it. That would make it about 10 years on now, and the only thing he has done to it is change the cutting edge.
  4. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

sounds like a good design, i am interested in doing the same thing. Do you have any pictures Rc2505?? Thanks
  5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

1/4 will be fine up to about 36 inch out,

my advice would be to cut the leading edges at 45 degrees, about 8 - 9 inches heigh so the plow will ride up a curb, then put at least 2 diag braces back to the mold board from the furthest point most forward on the wing. i did one only2/3 of the way out...yep big istack, rear 2/3 after the brace were straight as could be, the forward 1/3 before the brace would bend every which way if you hit a curb.

I would also put in some tubing or at least angle stock all the way around the wing to keep it from moving

i have seen alot of guys just weld the quick attach plate to the plow it elf in some manor, my advice, is to weld ears on the plate, and have recever arms (simliar to the ones on a western A- frame), coming from the plow, and pin it together. the idea being that the plow will then ride ground countors alot better. I know alot of machines have a "float mode" some work well, some dont. i also added a peace of round tubing, on the recivers so that the quick attach plate cound be tilted forward some and would then basicly take the float fuction away and apply down pressure.

i dont have this plow any more, but if you want i can draw you a quick pic and fax it over

hope this helps, point is dont under build it, its well worth the money to do it right
  6. Rc2505

Unfortunatley, I do not have any pictures. I have it in my head, but thats it, lol. I just know that it worked amazingly well, and if I ever got back into large lots again, I would most definatley build another one just like it.
  7. green frog

green frog Senior Member

See if any one has a set of Mega Scoops for sale. I got a set off here beginning of last winter. They slide into the shoe holder and then I drilled into the outside rib of the plow and put (2) half inch grade 8 bolts in to make it solid. I'll try to get some pics for you.
  8. accentlawn

accentlawn Member

Do the Mega Scoops make it into a pusher style?
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

amending my first post, 1/4inch plate for the sides well be fine if you are bracing it from the inside, and welding bracing all around on the outside. 1/16 sheet well be fine if you weld enough bracing on it
  10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Just to add my .02 cents. Another idea is to have the plates coming out from the plow straight for about a foot then angled 45 degrees to the outside. Now to brace the sides, you are able to brace it on the outside of the side plates plus ya get a wider plow. Subject to all the foolish laws on the books in your respective area as to how wide you can run. I have a plow built like that and it works fine.
  11. Rc2505

Augerandblade, the only problem with doing it that way would be you would still need some kind of cutting edge on the 45 degree angle pieces. It's a great idea to widen things though.