1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

making a plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jacob land and, Jan 25, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

hey i am buying a bobcat in april so i cant afford a plow right now, but i am tired of using snow blowers. my plan is to fabricate my own using the snow sport personal plow concept but make more of a snow pusher style blade... if anyone knows of anything important i need to know, please feel free to know. i have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 sport 4x4 360 zach

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

if you can weld, afford 1/4" thick steel and angle iron and have some way of bending steel you're in business...it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate your own push box, just time consuming.

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Plywood and 2x4s would work!;)

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Does your Bobcat have a Quick Attach? If it does, may be worth looking into getting a used plow and fab the moldboard to fit the QA. Assuming you'd want to use your Bobcat to plow.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Re-reading your post left me kind of confused. Are you saying you don't have either the Bobcat or a plow right now, but want something you can put on your 2000 Dodge pickup right now to plow with? But you can't afford a plow? You have a snowblower, but don't want to use it? Apparently you don't even have a plow mount on that truck. Then I go along with First Time Out. Strap a piece of plywood to the front bumper. By the time you get the steel and channel iron together, put in the labor and material needed to fab it together with a winch to raise and lower it, you could have put that into a cheap used plow or a "personal use" plow.

6. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

What Mick said! Around here there are a ton of old plow blades for sale on the cheap. The blades outlast the trucks and get orphaned. If I were making a pusher for the Bobcat I would buy an old blade and modify it from there. You will be time, money and frustration ahead. Just a thought.

7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

confused

like others have said your post is a little vague, but if you are asking how to make a pusher out of a regular old plow it is fairly easy... i have one down the shop that one of the guys made up, it works pretty well, i'll take some pics when i can...

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Damn, this is soooooo confusing! :dizzy:

9. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

the fabrication is done and everything is in paint right now, will have pictures up shortly

10. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Do we think he made it out of PLwood and 2x's-like first time out stated!

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Where are the pics?

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I sure hope not. Guess we'll have to wait and see!:confused:

13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

That would be funny as h3!!

14. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Were are these pictures at!?

15. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

im still figuring out how to put them up here...

16. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

well if youre having trouble with the pictures explain how you made the plow and what you used

17. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

i used the snowsport mounting concept as a guide to make a system off the 2inch reciever hitch. and the blade is 7'5 feet out of 1/4 steel with boxed ends. runs on 1/4 inch skies so it wont take to much gravel with it, locks into place when in reverse and rolls back when going forward. havent had a real good snow to test it though, NO SNOW. still trying with the pics..

18. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Sounds Sweet!--Guess you didn't use plywood and 2x's

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You're using this commercially?

20. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

yea, but not nearly enough to be considered commercial 5-6 driveways one medium sized parking lot, with the p lot i have a friend hop on on of their high lows with a blade on it to help out though.