1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making a few extra buck in Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by searay220, Nov 20, 2008.

1. searay220

searay220 Member

Ok now I am confused more than ever after reading several hundred threads. I now have a plow truck for the purpose of plowing mine and my parents driveway. A few weeks ago my neighbor who has a automotive garage wants me to plow his lot and a couple of his rental properties. My question is about the insurance.What do I need to make a few extra bucks in the state of Mass? If I need to spend crazy money on insurance it's not worth it. But if it's only a little it will be. I do want to protect myself somehow with possibly some type of waiver. I'm also told that I would need commercial plates with commercial insurance. I see dozens of trucks every day with the plow hook ups with regular plates.
    So what is he real scoop? I would really like to know. Thanks:confused::confused::confused:

2. scitown

scitown Senior Member

I've seen lobsterman with regular plates and plows too. Im hand shake contracts all residential drives. What you need to make money are more acounts. My insuarance on my comercial 2000 chevy is way high. I have a 2006 one ton dump without a plow and my com insurance is about $1000 less per year. My personal (regular plate) 2007 truck is a third the price of the plow truck. Mass gets you any way they can. I have a perfect driving record. Good luck. Remember its going to cost you a lot more if you hit someone or something during a snow storm.

3. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Searay220, in the last month i picked up 18 private. Purchased a rider on my truck policy good for up to 20. My ins. co. of course will send a copy to all my customers. that ask for it. it also covers me driving from place to place with the plow on. the cost. $ 5.00 bucks a year. Of course if i get more than 20 or do commercial ( I HOPE ! ) then I will get a Gen. liability policy. which can run from about $ 450 to $ 1300 maby more depending on the limits and of course reg. the truck commercially. The policy is on my 04 350 SD/SC.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  4. searay220

searay220 Member

So do you have a commercial auto insurance policy and commercial plates?

5. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

No not at this time i dont. just a regular reg. Best bet is to call your agent. explain what you wanna do. they will tell you how much it is to cover your ass in case of a prob.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  6. searay220

searay220 Member

I re-read your reply. So you don't have a commercial auto policy or commercial plates. If I understand you you have a $5.00 rider? Who is your insurance company.What does the rider cover you for?
    Thanks

7. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

PM me your name and address an ill have my ins. comp. send you a copy of it. ill call them as soon as i get it.

8. searay220

searay220 Member

How do I PM you?

9. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Nothing, you will be responsible for slip and falls even if you are plowing one drive for money. Better get GL

Neither one of you can PM, you don't have enough posts

10. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Ducatirider944, i know what you are saying. but it does cover property damage. as far as the slips and falls go. my customers have agreed to sign that i am absolved of any claims against me for any injury. due to plowing their drives, and other factors. due to the fact it is winter and snow is slippery. i did have a lawyer (Relative) draw this up for me. it it all legal. and my bad on the pm searay just msn me.

11. searay220

searay220 Member

Bolt-1 Any ideas how I could get a copy. I would like to see it.

12. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

There is a little known policy change available on Massachusetts private passenger vehicle policies for "occasional" snowplowing. Many insurance agents don't know about it. It is for the guy who has a light truck (3/4 ton or smaller) and plow and does his own driveway and a few other driveways and maybe a small parking lot. It is not for the guy who is out plowing during a whole storm commercially. It is a "class change" and costs very little. The last time I checked, it cost about $ 35 per year. If I remember, on Monday I'll check with my brother to see if it covers a slip and fall on a driveway or small parking lot that you plowed as I'm not sure. It may only cover the truck and plow but I'll check. My brother is a very knowledgable Mass. insurance agent. He's been an agent for 30 years.

13. taterntot101

taterntot101 Junior Member

I'd also be very interested in finding out more about this "class change". If you could post as much info about it as possible, it would be appriciated

14. searay220

searay220 Member

Chris-r

Sounds like just what I'm looking for.:D Please I would really like to know more about this. If you can follow up on this I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks ussmileyflag

15. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

id love to know more as well!!

16. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

me 2......

17. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I checked. It is called a "statistical class". and you want "statistical class No. 130. Here is the definition as per the State Division of Insurance. "The automobile is owned by an individual and is used in the occupation, profession or business of the insured."

It only covers the vehicle. It does not cover you if someone slips and falls after you have plowed. Also, if you have a private passenger policy and you don't have this "statistical class" and you get into an accident while engaging in your business, coverage can be denied.

18. searay220

searay220 Member

Thanks Chris-R.
    Has anyone been able to follow up with the information Chris-R provided? I haven't been able to find anything on the internet. I'll try calling around to some insurance people.
    The more I look the more I see trucks with passanger plates with plow hookups. What are the divers of these trucks doing for insurance?

19. pkenn

pkenn Senior Member

I was told i had to get commercial plates, but the change to my ipolicy would only be an extra $35 a year.

20. searay220

searay220 Member

pkenn what insurance company is that through? So what I understand with comm auto insurance you must get a commercial plate. This will cover your truck and plow. It must cover if you hit something with the plow such as another car,building or anything is that correct?