1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

making a door for an 1840 sucks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by trqjnky, Oct 11, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Man, what a mother! Lights are in the way, ign key is in the way, accessory hydros in the way, etc etc. Can't just make a rectangular door.

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i made one last year for a NH LS 190..a few angles..turned out ok in the end. haven't put a wiper on the acrylic glass yet , hopefully it won't scratch it

3. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Got it done today, turned out pretty good. Moved the lights to the top of the cab and will re situate them after snow season. Used :220 plexiglass for the window. I dunno if a wiper will be neccesary or not. Hopefully not, I think it'd scratch the crap outta the window. Used 1x1 square stock for the frame and welded hinges on. For next year if I use this door setup again, ill make removable hinges. Used fiberglass belting to fill in gaps on top and bottom of the door. They are flexible so hopefully they wont break when hit/kicked like fiberglass. I may have to replace them with sheetmetal if the belting doesn't work. Made a door handle out of 1" flat stock. And used cabinet magnets to hold the door closed. Ill post some picks up later

All said, I have 53 dollars in this door, used metal I had laying around the shop to build it.

4. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

Here it is, crappy cell phone pics...

2011-10-13_12-32-13_126.jpg

2011-10-13_12-32-23_214.jpg

5. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

cant see ****. ill take some pics in the sun if i feel like backing it outta the garage

6. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

at least it will keep the heat in or cold out. down here we get alot of sleet/wet snows so i know i am going to need a wiper

7. LTLANDSCAPING

LTLANDSCAPING Member

I have the same machine and built a door for it out of lexan. My door hinges from the top and I have two slide pins to keep it closed at the bottom with two pieces of rubber to go around the loader arms. I still need to relocate the lights to the outside of the door and get some sort of wiper and electric heater. I will try to post some pics of it next time I am at the condos where I have parked.