1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

making a chevy gas to diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Reliable Snow and Ice, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

I have a 99 chevy suburban 4x4 with the 5.7L gas and I'm thinking of putting in a 5.7L diesel in it
    that was out of an 80's caddy and I'm wondering if the trans bolt patterns were and are the same?
    and again with the toque converts

it's a project that I would like to do only cause I make Bio Diesel and I make it for cheep...

but not going to try if it won't fit......

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You'd be better off looking for a 6.2 or a 6.5. Lot's of those around with mechanical pumps. A Cummins 4bt would also be an excellent choice, but a bit more work.

3. Reliable Snow and Ice

now would those just bolt up to the trans i have in the truck now

4. AIMscapes

AIMscapes Member

The 5.7 diesel motor is basically a converted gas motor that GM built in the late 70's early 80's due to astronomical fuel prices. My dad had one in an Oldsmobile and it made poor power and never ran correctly. I would go with a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel. Either of these should bolt up to your 700R4 transmission. A 5.9 Cummins 12V would be the transplant of choice due to the power and tuneability. I don't know if that motor will bolt up to your transmission. Good luck.

5. Reliable Snow and Ice

awesome thank's :bluebounc

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No such thing as a GM 5.9 gas in a Sub. Must be a typo. :D

Don't even waste your time on the old 5.7 Olds based Diesel, you'll have no electronics to run the 4L60E trans without considerable expense and it won't fit the bell housing anyway. You would have to purchase a great deal of gas before it would even come close to paying for itself.

7. Reliable Snow and Ice

yeah typo just fixed it

and the trans i have in the burban is the 4L80e

8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Different number, same problem.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep.......

10. matzke3

matzke3 Member

If its the old body style the pattern should be the same, BUT with the electronic trans you would need an ecm and im thinking it would have to interface with the engine.

11. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Back in the 80's GM's diesels were nothing more than a 5.7L 350 CID block with different heads and intake on them. They were real dogs of a motor and most people tended to swap them out with a gas motor.

If you realy want to do do a diesel conversion, I suggest swaping in a 12 valve mechanical Cummins motor with the NV4500 standard 5 speed trans from a 2nd generation dodge ram (94 - 98.5)

12. Reliable Snow and Ice

well at this point i guess i should look into trading my gas burban for a diesel one

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

OR put the suburban body on a 2500 diesel pickup

14. Reliable Snow and Ice

oh i would love to to do that but there are not many out there

15. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

But they were an Olds/Buick trans bolt pattern. I know of one 5.7 diesel that was replaced with a gas and it had to be an Olds to bolt up so he put in a 403? I think it was. Drove for many more years after that. They may have actually been the Olds/Buick 350. I even know of one cutlass that was diesel (factory).

16. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yea you wouldnt really want an older diesel. The power rating in unreal and by that I mean its low. As said previously put a Cummins in it or swap to a Duramax. Either way its going to be a project and cost more than anticipated. But it would be cool also. Plenty of people that have done it. Older Cummins 12V would probably be the easiest swap.

17. Reliable Snow and Ice

well i'm now looking for a duramax so we'll see what i find

18. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

If I were you, I'd sell what you have a buy a diesel and save myself a ton of hassle and aggervation cause you'll spend more time making parts to work and trying to hunt stuff down to find out you'll have to make something. I delivered to a guy about 3 years ago he was putting a mercedes diesel in a tahoe guess what 3 years later it's still sitting in his garage not running.