1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Making a "bullet proof" relay box..

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by TJS, Nov 11, 2013.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I have a relay set up that controls my aux. back up lights and it also has a beeper and a third brake light. This connects to the hitch assembly. Anyway, I had an aluminum box that I made but it was too small to hold the brake attention module I got. By the way the brake attention module I got on ebay a long time ago was dead out of the box. I never tested it back then and I should have. No biggie they are only 15.00. Plastic project boxes are no going to cut it here.

Onto the project. Had some 2 x 2 1/8" wall tube around. Milled out an opening where the rely will reside as well as the brake attention module (BAM),

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Test fit components.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Made holes where some wires will pass up from the hitch light assembly. Also drilled and tapped to make a ground stud. I also welded it in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stud was stainless and I used 309L filler rod.
    [​IMG]

Ground the outside smooth where the weld was.
    [​IMG]

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Inside of box with welded stud.

[​IMG]

Cut out some 3/8" plate for the side. I needed thicker material because I will be drilling and tapping for the top. Overkill I know.
    [​IMG]

TIG welded the sides in. Made sure no leaks cause I do not want water intrusion.
    [​IMG]

4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Sides all welded.
    [​IMG]

Drilling and tapping blind holes. Be very very careful. This stuff is brittle after welding.
    [​IMG]

Test fitting after some prime and paint.
    [​IMG]

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Top is 1/4" plate. I have to finish wiring it when I get my new brake attention module.

[​IMG]

6. to_buy

to_buy Senior Member

holy cow, wish i had that kind of time and the machines to do that. My hat is off to you, I thought I was anal.

7. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

this is real nice man, i checked out that headache rack build also man, really nice work. surprised ive never seen that truck before, im from milford CT, we do alot of work down fairfield/southport way.

8. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

ive been trying to teach myself to fabricate stuff, and TIG weld as well. your projects are mint.

9. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Very nice! Is it being mounted inside the cab or outside? If outside going to weather proof it with a gasket of some sort?

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

This is mounted on my home made hitch light that i made a while back. I made a post on that build too.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Yes. I will rtv the cover on and seal the wires going in.

12. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Excellent Work !!!!

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey pipe. If you want some hands on help wirh tigging just give me a shout. Bring your helmet and gloves. I have plenty of material to practice on. You will love the miller dynasty.

14. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

See signature for homemade hitch light. Posting from smart phones does not show signature in previous posts.
    Thanks.
    T.J.

15. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Very nice, Tig welds really make it all look like something bought not built!

16. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Done. I can also turn off the backup beeper via switch that just sends a ground to the beeper or not. The third brake light flashes pretty fast for 3 times then stays lit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]