1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Make your own snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by herb1001, Dec 31, 2011.

1. herb1001

herb1001 Senior Member

Since it is cold enough at night, has anyone ever tried to make their own snow. Those snow makers at the ski mountains just look like big power washes.

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I've thought about it. I assume you could hook up a power washer and stand on your roof. You'd have to be high up so it has time to freeze on the way down. It wouldn't be actual snow, but rather tiny ice pellets. You'd have to use thousands of gallons of water and I wouldn't want that water bill.

But....yes....the thought has crossed my mind.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

there is a guy in CT that sells snow making kits.. You need a pressure washer and a continuous duty compressor, there are a few different type of manifolds and nozzles to choose from and make. without the compressor you will get ice pellets.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

But the daytime temps here would melt everything you made the night before. Ski resorts are having a hard time here making snow. They will be going balls out tryingto make snow the beginning of the week as its supose to get normal temps for Monday and Tiesday, then back to warm again.

5. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Made snow a few years ago with a hose nozzle, shop vac and a step ladder. A bit unorthodox, but two hours of this on a "cold" night in Phoenix rendered the dusting seen below. Drew lots of looks from morning drivers.

Snow07-1.jpg