1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Make sure your Electric Motors are Sealed VERY GOOD

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by hlntoiz, Jan 2, 2010.

1. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Well, the auger motor crapped out on my Dump insert spreader the other day during a salt run. so while I am waiting for a new one I decided to take the original apart. This is what I found:

0102101117.jpg

0102101118.jpg

Looks to me very salty water got in the motor and became solid again and turned back to salt chunks. That is what was jamming my motor the past 2 storms.

Are there covers made for these units? I know when I put the new motor on it will be sealed very well and some kind of cover will be made!

0102101117.jpg

0102101118.jpg

2. VPRacing

VPRacing Member

A guy I plow with had this happen to his pump motor. While I was helping him look for a new motor at 2am I found a guy online that said he has had the same thing happen to him and to take out the small broken chunks, clean it out good and put it back together. So got it all back together and he plowed for the next 6hrs like that until the local plow parts supplier opened and he could get a new motor. He ended up using the same motor a couple more storms and keeping the brand new one as back up because the old motor was working just fine. Quite interesting but you could still make it work if you were in a bind!

3. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

The sad part is this unit has only been used one season. Totally blame the set up by Downeaster. Most other electric units have some sort of cover for the motors. Some sort of bag/cover should come with the unit. There is no need to have to take apart a motor and rebuild/seal/grease/never seize it after you purchase it. To me that is common sense engineering and if you are going to put a motor like this on your spreader making sure it has a good seal I think would be important.

PS. This one will not work again. This one got into a fight with a shovel!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  4. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

wow
    that sucks i say make a cover and tell downeaster.
    was it under anykind of warrenty?
    you should deff get a dodge hooklift with a green can and a hydro sander;)
    Allen

5. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Downeaster is a joke when it comes to this product IMO. I loved thier Vboxes but not this set up. I have made soooooooooo Many Common sense improvements on this unit. This was the last draw. I never had a electric unit before. I would think that the motors would be sealed from the factory. Obviously not. Even though they don't make the motors IMO they are responsible for the finished product. Most electric units have some cover over the motors. Not DE:mad:

Now this unit is even better. I ordered a 1 hp motor from Grainger $631.00. The stock one is 1/2 hp. So this entire unit is pretty much better than brand new now! It just doesnt' meet my needs anymore I have lot more salting to do now and need to get 3-4yd Vbox on that hook!

6. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Is this the same unit that your selling?

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

Just had the same exact thing happen last week to one of our Downeaster tailgate spreaders that goes on a sidewalk truck. Our motor didn't look as bad as yours, but none the less it was the same cause. We ordered a new motor, and we are going to take some precautions with the new one. Downeaster claims these are special built motors that are sealed, but clearly they aren't.

8. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Yup, same price with a brand new upgraded motor!

Funny I ordered it though Grainger, they have 1/2 3/4 and 1 hp motors and it is a better quality product.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  9. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Ouch man that stinks

10. threeleaf

threeleaf Senior Member

yah im not sure if you have seen the 3.5 yard hydro we put on the f550 it is just perfect for you i think..
    Allen

11. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Trust me Allen when I build the next truck it will be equipped right. I will get to your shop sooner or later.

The dump insert is a great concept and worked well for me the past few years. But I am getting more and more salting jobs and need a bigger unit. I was even thinking of puting a 4-5yd spreader in the 6500 then putting it on a hook later.

12. fordf350super

fordf350super Junior Member

same thing happened to my fisher polycaster bought it used from a guy said "everything works great" then i get all the wireing set up on my truck ready to go and the motor is shot. so mad
    bought a new one for 300$$ working great now

13. THE-BOSS-PLOWS

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

I looked at a stainless Salt Spreader Motor for a downeaster on Grainger. It was like 600 dollars though.

14. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Ya $632.00 for a 1hp. Better motor though!

15. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

Here is a pic of what came out of my motor after it dried out. The white pile of Sand/salt right next to the motor. Note how dirty the motor is also.

DEmotor.jpg

DEmotor.jpg