1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Make Daniels Pull Plow taller to handle more snow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DFLS, Jan 3, 2012.

1. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Make Daniels Pull Plow taller to handle more snow?

I will be replacing my steel cutting edge with a poly edge. Anyone ever make the height taller, say use a 10" wide piece of UHMW as a replacement cutting edge which would raise the height of the box of the pull plow by 6 inches or so and therefore make it hold more snow? I have plenty of height on the truck to do this because it is lifted 2" over stock and my hitch is mounted to the truck frame a little higher than the regular under- bumper mounted hitch. Got a quote for the poly $190.

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I don't think it will help hold that much more snow. The Daniels rolls the snow forward really well, so it's going to lose snow to the sides before over the top. I think the width is determaining how much snow it will carry more than height. I also think that a taller poly blade will be weaker and more susceptible to damage.

3. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

I am going to use some 1" thick UHMW cut 8" tall. So that is 3" taller than the 5" stock steel edge, I think just enough extra height for my application. I will reinforce the corners with some steel L brackets just to be safe and hold everything together. When it is done and used I will post pictures and give an update on how it works... 1" x 8" x 120" UHMW poly is $255 delivered from midlandplastics. Semi-local plastic supplier was $257 plus my gas and time to pick up 65 miles away.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012