1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

make a 1500 into a 3/4 ton

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by lawnboyil, Feb 25, 2003.

1. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

ok i had my thought for the day add an extra leaf in the rear and the timbren supension aid to the truck and make it 3/4 ton basiclly. the reasoning is i just got all the bugsa worked out of the truck and i want ot plw but all the added waint on the front end not cool. it a 95 4x4 1500
    any thought ideas opinions

alex

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

You willl be riding higher,yes,but it still a 1500.Im sure you'll be ok if you keep the weight under 7000 or so.Do not think you now have a 2500,not even close. To make a 1/2 way decent 2500,you'd need the axles out of a true 2500 truck,they are much beefier,and have brakes with almost twice thw stopping power,you have light duty rims,basically car rims,they werent made to carry the weight of a 3/4 ton truck. A real 3/4 ton will have 8 lug wheels with a minimum rating of 3000lbs each.You already know you need new springs.The radiator is much larger in the 2500's,and the steering system is heavier duty as well. Transmissions are beefier,U joints /drive shafts are heavier as well.The frame is beefier on the 2500 and 3500 models too.Im sure there are afew other things I forgot to mention that are beefier as well. I'm not trying to scare you out of the truck,but there is alot more to a heavier truck than springs/shocks. This is why we always recommend a 3/4 ton truck minimum to all gys looking to plwo tow commercially,no matter how little they plan to do.The biggest obstacle will be safe stopping,you will not be able to stop the truck in the event of an emergency panic stop,the brakes,even if you stand on them,will not lock,and they will quickly fade away to nothing. If your just adding a plow i would go ahead and use the truck,maybe go with stiffer front springs.there are a lot of 1500Rams pushing snow,id go for it.I would run a few hundred lbs of ballast in the rear of the bed,and stay with a fairly light plow.Just dont think you can carry a 2 yard v box becasue its beefed up,,or that its a real 3/4 ton. Good luck

Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  3. lawnboyil

lawnboyil Junior Member

thanks john
    hopefully moter nature cooperates this summer and i can make some money and get me a 3/4 ton. i t just my thought for the day
    alex

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Wait and see how this summer goes and then use the money you save for a 3/4 ton. If you can't afford a bigger truck than a 7.5 plow will be O.K. for that truck. There are a couple guys in my area running 1500's with 7.5 fishers and they do fine. Just keep your plowing within parameters the vehicle can handle.

5. dillyolboy

dillyolboy Member

There is a big difference between a 3/4 and 1/2 ton as John said. The brakes are the biggest issue IMO. The 1/2 ton can't really stop well at all with plows on. I think in 99 or 00 they switched to Norris-McFaden (does that exist or am I making that up :confused:) brakes. In any case they have dual piston calipers in front and they can stop real well. The suspension does need to be beefed up to plow for sure. I have 1 ton diesel coils on front and two extra leaves on each side in back and rancho 9000 shocks all around. Everybody says the 1/2 ton axle is way too weak but I have seen no evidence for this. I personally know 6 guys with 9'2" Vs and they have no problems. It's hard on ball joints. V boxes are out of the question. As long as you plow in low range and have a good sized cooler the tranny seems to survive for a while. For all around use a 3/4 ton is probably best and less maintenance.

6. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

The 3/4 tons use Dana full floating axles, not semis. That alone is a boost when subjecting a truck to loads. The differentials also have larger and more clutch/discs. If your 1/2t has the Chrysler "corporate" axles, don't subject them to harsh duty. You'll be walking home someday. Some of the 3/4t w/ plow prep also have the NV241HD transfer case. Has ° temp sending unit heavier chain, and I believe an extra support bearing or a larger one.