1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Major problem?? i think.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by bill8379, Jan 6, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

Hoping for a diagnosis so I don't talk to the mechanics with no knowledge.

-the other day I turn on the blinker and my radio lights would blink at the same time. That never happened before, plus I thought I smelled burnt wiring.

-Today, same thing but then, I stop/start the engine and I had no dash lights. I got worried that I had no lights at all (it's night) got out and, I had front lights and running lights but no brake lights. More smell of burning plastic.

-So I go to start it up, starts fine (was going to drive home) but the brakes feel wierd and it won't let me get out of park. I couldn't get it into drive. Phoned a tow truck, while waiting the interior was was stuck on and wouldn't shut off no matter what.

_ I got them to tow it to Canadian tire and I unhooked the battery.

Its a '96 ford Ranger... well at least I can still drive my big truck.
  2. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

Are you running any extra accessories on that truck? I used to have a 97 Ranger, but it was still new when I had it. It sounds like you've shorted somewhere. Start at the fuse box and look under the dash paying close attention to where wires pass through the firewall. If you have toys wired up, check those carefully. You're burning wires somewhere meaning the circuit is overloaded and the fuse isn't popping.

Good luck!
  3. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

You know my interior light was VERY hot. I don't know if it was my imagination but I thought maybe too much power going through it.

I'm not sure if that's possible but I've seen christmas light filaments, when they get hot they can be fluid and it the bulb is flipped over the filament can cross and shorten itself. Then the bulb burns very bright for a couple minutes then burns out.
  4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well theres your problem. :jester::rolleyes:

But seriously, sounds like crossed wires or something. I would start by going over the harnesses and look for chafing through the housing. Good luck and dont' forget to let us know what happens.
  5. FordPlow

FordPlow Junior Member

Short or crossed wires------------Check all harnesses a lot of times ice and gunk can build up and cause the shorts at harnesses.
  6. Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge Member

Any luck with this?
  7. Lawnman883

Lawnman883 Member

i had an issue with the turn signal stalk in my 95 and my 01 explorer. the wires in those stalks chafe and short. the 95 explorer i lost my headlights since that switch activates the high beams, and my turn signals got funky. in the 01 explorer i just had an issue with the right turn signal, same chafing though. i know the rangers are of similar build
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check the under dash ground wires too. I have had some come loose, a bad ground will do real strange things. Look at a place the wire harness touches under the dash. Something has to be shorting out. Just enough current draw to heat up the wires but not enough to fry a fusible link.
  9. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

$627 later.

Problem was traced backed to trailer wiring kit.

Replace trailer wiring kit $44
    Belt Tensioner twisting caused belt to burn off, new Tensioner $100
    New Serpentine belt $40
    Power Steering Flush $80
    Vent Flush to deorderized the burning plastic smell $40
    Replace Idler Pulley$45 (Had wrong idler pulley on there that cause the damage to the serpentine.)

Labour $309
    Parts $220
    Tax $67

Not too bad a price, kind of a relieve actually.
  10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Canadian tire is crap, never take your truck there, what a rip for the vent flush. Canadian tire will talk you in to a battery alignment if you arn't paying attn!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dizzy:
  11. frostypuck

frostypuck Member

I was going to suggest the trailer wiring harness. Same thing on my '96 Ranger. Also, had the tensioner grenade on me on the hi-way, and the power steering leaked from the day I bought it new.
    I sure miss that truck. (You didn't buy it used from someone in Mass. did you? It could be mine.)
    Chris in Boston
  12. bill8379

bill8379 Junior Member
    from central

Lol, NO! it's green in the daytime and blue at night. It also has 31" tires on it go through any dept of snow.