1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Major oil leak!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by gprx2, Dec 21, 2008.

1. gprx2

gprx2 Junior Member

92 Chevy K2500

SO this is my plow truck and I just noticed that ive got a major oil leak. A few months ago it was small and i was able to fix it by replacing the seals and gasket on the oil filter adapter.

Everything was fine until just recently I noticed a 3 inch pool of motor oil in my drive. I check the oil level and it was low but still reading on the dip stick

It seems to be leaking on the bottom half of the engine ( mostly drivers side). without gettting under the truck i can see it dripping at a steady pace just at idle. it will drip from the supports that hold the tranfercase cover i believe.

When driving i can tell that it sprays out more oil as the front drive shaft and drivers exhaust is covered with oil.

Any ideas of that this could be?.... main seal, sending unit, filter adapter again?>
  2. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Have you replaced the pan yet?? There is the chance the gasket is crap too...
  3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

The 90's Chevys were notorious for having the oil pan rot out. I had to replace mine in my old 94 2500. Part was only 70 bucks but most shops wanted 1200 or so to do it. Had to jack up the engine, and a whole slew of other crap. While I was in there, I also threw in a good high volume oil pump. You look right at it when you do the job, so it would make no sense not to do that too. Took me a total of 10 hours to do myself in the driveway. A whole lot of cussin, but saved myself a grand
  4. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

There's your problem.. Crawl under the damn truck and look, if its dripping it should take 3 seconds to see what it is..
  5. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Perhaps the

oil cooler lines????
  6. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'd do all 3 . It probably the pan . when you get in there the lines will leak later or the pump will go .
  7. gprx2

gprx2 Junior Member

so i got under there last night and it was the oil filter adapter again. just leaking in one spot. I took it down and bought a new gasket and ring kit.... so far so good.... for now atleast....

Very strange as far where it was leaking.. all surfaces were clean with no old gasket or anything on them.

I think it may have something to do with the extremely cold temps we have been having... highs in the single digits and wind chills at -30F You know how thick that oil is in those kind of temps.

Looking into some heaters for the oil.... is this a good or bad idea???
  8. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Oil cooler lines, pan gasket, oil cooler O ring on mine. Then I did the heater core, heater fan, exhaust from cross over back, and gas lines. Old trucks need parts! I spent more on the repairs than I did on the truck, so no big deal. At one point I was leaking gas, oil, and anti freeze all at the same time.
  9. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Sounds like you got this one figured out, but dont overlook a leaking valve cover gasket. Ive had them with cracks in the back...oil runs down the back of the block...makes it look like an "underneath" problem.
  10. Spitz

Spitz Senior Member

We get a lot of strange leaks in the winter times where they appear and possibly subside after it warms up a little. Try explaining that to a customer..