1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Major Modification

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by torque20, Mar 17, 2001.

1. torque20

torque20 Junior Member

Question. I have a standard 7 1/2 foot meyer straight blade, and i am seriously debating on transforming this plow into a "V" plow.If i fail , i have a back-up , and will attempt to re - fab it back to its original position with a box of rods and some 3/8 scrap.Has any one accomplished this before?

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Welcome aboard!

As a hobby, perhaps this project would be fun to undertake.

As a business decision, No way.

Hey, you might know something Boss and Douglas don't and make an inporvement. Boss builds plows POORER than they did 5 years ago and for technology being around 20 years, I'm not too impressesed with Western/Fisher either.

I think it'd take a lot of work, but not too many brains to build a superior plow to the current models being offered by the current manufacturers.

3. torque20

torque20 Junior Member

thanks

I seen the train with the v plow fabbed on the front in a site here, looks radical.I may even "BOX" the blade , like the one's hanging on the loaders, i believe the name is Pro-tech (R).

4. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Put a set of pro-wings on it and call it good.

5. torque20

torque20 Junior Member

got em

i made a set out of 1 1/2 inch rubber conveyor belt, secured by bolt,washer,1/4"x2"x1'rolled plate,to mold with board , then you got the plow followed by washer and lock nuts.what im really after is escaping the $5200.00 V price tag and back hoe rental fees, i will overcome for sure , its just a matter of , like you said,some ingenuity,time and labor . who knows , i may bring this to a patent company for further review.i seen many a boss plow hinge failure during extreme conditions, reliability is my MAIN CONCERN.

6. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

I've seen a couple of guys box their plows....they just welded steel plate on the sides...it looked like a mini protech...you might consider some folding wings for the sides...kinda like the ones on the big daniels plows...we had one this year for a cat IT-38 you could fold the wings in and have a 12 foot plow, or fold them out and have an 18 foot plow....

-J

7. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Greasemonkey

How did you like the Daniels. Do you have the optional pusher kit for it. I liked the idea and am considering getting one for next year. Some of the guys I know around here got their 4X4 backhoes stuck using Protecs in heavy wet snow, just spinning the tires. I thought if you could switch to a blade it might help in rough spots. One guy ended up doing an entire lot with just the bucket. It just seemed more versatile then a pusher or a straight blade.

8. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Member

it was a pretty bad-*ss plow :)...the cat IT-38 was really too big of a machine to use with it though..someting like an IT-24 or 28 woukld have been more manuverable and a little bit quicker...We were also running a 4x4, 4 wheel steer JCB loader / backhoe w/ a 14' protech on the same site...i have to say that i thought the daniels was superior in a lot of ways....it scraped down to pavement better, which meant less salt and quicker melting of residual, it angled, it tripped, and it was wider, and we didn't have rubber cutting edge problems like we did with the protechs...the JCB / Protech combo didn't really work too well the time we had snow on top of ice...we weren't running the daniels @ the same time so i can't compare, but I know that the jcb just carry much snow or it would loose traction...

-J

[Edited by plowking35 on 03-20-2001 at 07:53 AM]