1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Major malfunction on RT3 V 9'2''!

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by TOPGUNMI, Jan 14, 2013.

1. TOPGUNMI

TOPGUNMI Junior Member

Hello, I have monitored for several seasons but havent had a reason to join. The other day I went to move my plow which I had used for 2 snowfalls already this yr. I saw sparks arc from the plow mount, smoke by solenoid. I know the mount sparks are from bad grounds, so I cleaned those and checked thru other wires. I found the harness by the truckside connector had a slice in the red wire. So when I powered the plow up, the pump motor ran as soon as I turned on the remote and wouldnt turn off until I disconnected power to plow. The plow controller would not turn off and stayed lit and warmed up and thats when I disconnected power. I assumed stuck solenoid and swapped that out, solenoid clicks and pump motor runs non stop till power removed, remote stays on. I went to my local dealer to buy another spare solenoid and they checked my controller on another truck and said the pump motor ran and right side kicked out. I would appreciate some insight and advice before I hook up another remote and smoke that one! Thanks in advance and keep up the good work!

2. Dave Brule II

Dave Brule II Junior Member

Contact Boss Tech Support at 800-286-4155. The Tech service team will gladly help you out.

3. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

dealer stealer game . you need a proper diagnosis from a qualified care full tech . not just a controller sale and put on your way . stand by for a BnB response .

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A short in any 12V harness wire and/or a poor ground (sparking at the mount) will smoke a Smart Touch controller. Especially the poor ground as it will search back through the main harness until it finds it and ultimately the controller. Small spikes aren't a problem but when you're trying to pull 150A with a motor and it's ground isn't good you can have problems. Not only with the plow controller either. Poor plow grounds will destroy sensitive electrical components of the truck too.

Can't stress enough how important proper grounding is.

5. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

i just installed my truck side harness. i grounded right to the battery, is this a good spot to ground to? i dont want to fry anything

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely. Directly at the battery is always the best place for both power and ground.