1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Majic-0 Pre-Treat Questions

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by timmy1, Jan 5, 2010.

1. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

My Majic salesman just gave me 20 gallons as a trial.

I have a steep hill I would like to pre-treat, and compare to strait salt.

I hooked up a tank and 2 anhydrous ammonia flood nozzles on the back of my truck. I'm using a sure-flo electric pump toggled switched into the cab. I tested it today and I'm throwing about a 16 foot wide pattern.

We very rarely get below 5 or 10*F here. So here are the questions...

1. If I leave the liquid in the tank and pump, will it freeze in there?

2. I am told that I can pre-treat a week in advance as long as no rain is in the forecast. True?

3. I read somewhere that if I pre-treat and the temps rise above 32*F it's going to be slippery. True? If I spread some sand on top after application, will this be OK?

4. I'm told it can burn 1-2" of snow down before it will start to accumulate. True?

5. 30 gallons/Acre?

6. Will I stain white cars with it?

2. What is Majic? You mean Magic Salt, not majic, mr. magic. lol

Majic-0 Pre-Treat Questions
    My Majic salesman just gave me 20 gallons as a trial.

I have a steep hill I would like to pre-treat, and compare to strait salt. Be very careful with hills. Talk to your dealer.

I hooked up a tank and 2 anhydrous ammonia flood nozzles on the back of my truck. I'm using a sure-flo electric pump toggled switched into the cab. I tested it today and I'm throwing about a 16 foot wide pattern. Nice!

We very rarely get below 5 or 10*F here. So here are the questions...

1. If I leave the liquid in the tank and pump, will it freeze in there? NO -43f

2. I am told that I can pre-treat a week in advance as long as no rain is in the forecast. True? Yes

3. I read somewhere that if I pre-treat and the temps rise above 32*F it's going to be slippery. True? If I spread some sand on top after application, will this be OK? If the temps rise after your application it does not matter

4. I'm told it can burn 1-2" of snow down before it will start to accumulate. True? no, maybe on a real lite snow but don't expect it. I say 1/4-1". If you have vehicle/foot traffic it will help melt it.

5. 30 gallons/Acre? Thats about right. We use 18-20 per acre with our spray rigs.

6. Will I stain white cars with it? No water soluble.

3. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Be careful on hills?

What I'm trying to do is keep the hill bare asphalt. You mean it might runoff in a rain/snow event?

4. You have to be very careful with steep hills because if you don't follow all the application rules then it may be slick and cause you problems. These are questions you should be asking your dealer not folks not educated about a particular product. You should be ok but liquids can cause big problems on roads if not applied correctly..

5. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I talked with the dealer today for about 1/2 hour and he mentioned nothing about it becoming slick. This is why I'm asking here because I figured I'd get a good practical response from hands on people who use it. Sometimes people who use it know more that the dealers if you know what I mean. :)

Thanks for the insight, I'll be watching for more.

6. So you know about the ground temp/air temp rules? If he didn't tell you and you may want to get that info...

7. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

Nope, did not mention nothing about that.

8. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Bottom line is Magic contains a boat load of Mag. Mag turns greasy/slick over 32 degrees. That includes pavement temps. So if its 29 outside sun shinning, and the pavement is 34 degrees you will probably have serious issues.

My suggestion would be to salt the hill for now, and play with the liquid on your own driveway were you can monitor it. Just do test patches 3x3 or so, no reason to apply the whole load.
    Liquids are not like rock salt, theres a learning curve for sure, and a public/private road way
    HILL of all places would not be a good place to practice.