1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

maintence

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wild bill, Sep 8, 2009.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

just a stretch here but has any body replaced the fuel filter on a 2004 tahoe with a 4.8 v-8 i cant find the dam thing any were ! they want to sell one but you cant find it to install it .:realmad:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can't find it Bill because there isn't one. :D

Actually there is, but it's in the tank on the bottom of the pump, not external. Only to be serviced when you suspect a flow issue. And normally when that happens it needs a pump too.

Most aftermarket parts and thus stores were not updated once GM did away with the external filters on the trucks starting mid-'03. But they're still happy to sell you one of course. payup

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

maintenence

hey thank's b&b i though i was going crazy .:salute:

4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

GEEE !! What is wrong with GM doing that ???? I suppose they sell more parts ... What a DUMB idea !!!!

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

GM has stopped putting inline filters in many models since 2004. Other manufacturers have been doing it longer, Dodge's gas engine equipped trucks for example. They haven't had an external fuel filter for many many years....

The fuel sender assembly (pump/regualtor/sock/level sensor) inside the tank has a container on the bottom of it about half the size of a coffee can. All the fuel pick up components are inside of this container. It has a small intake port in the very bottom that filters the bigger debris so that the fuel that is filling the container is fairly clean. The fuel fills the container and a sock(filter) is used at the end of the fuel pumps pick-up tube. Smaller debris that makes it to the sock is then filtered by the sock before entering the fuel pump and simply falls to the bottom of the container. GM calls this a "self cleaning" system. Any debris that does not go into the canister of the fuel pump assembly falls to the bottom of the tank and any debris that the sock stops falls to the bottom of the canister when the fuel pump is shut off.

Todays pumps are much more robust then the pumps of old. We see more failures of the old style pumps with inline replaceable fuel filters than we do of the newer style.

It also helps to keep the EPA off their back. The less filters that can be changed the fewer that find their way into landfills is their thinking.

6. RichG53

Can the newer pump/filters work on older trucks ??????? 04 - 99........

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No but you could remove the inline filter and replace it with a section of steel line to reduce maintenance.

Wouldn't recommend it though. :D

8. RichG53

So when you say the new pumps are more robust do you mean the the newer years or just the newer pumps that are made ???? Thanks !!!!

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Both.

The newer pumps themselves are better in that they're better equipped to deal with the ethanol content in todays gasoline, and also in the fact that they filter the fuel to a finer degree (due to no inline filter after the pump) thus providing the pump better protection from debris in the first place.

10. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Plus with no filter between the pump and injectors, the pump won't have a heart attack trying to ram fuel through a plugged filter.

11. RichG53

So if I had to replace my pump that has an inline filter would I be getting a better pump (quality wise ) then what was originally installed from factory or dealer replaced ????? THANKS !!!!!

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you buy the right one yes. Genuine GM will have all the current updates that have been done on them to better handle todays fuels.

13. RichG53

If I ever have to replace to a newer pump do I need to eliminate the in line filter ?????

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No because although you may be upgrading to a newer pump (newest revision in other words) but it would still use the same filtration design as what you have.

15. RichG53

OK !!! Is a parts store ok to buy from or should it be a dealer: ????:cry:

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The excess punctuation is giving me a headache!!!! It's too mulch for me to take.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I prefer OEM when ever humanly possible.

18. RichG53

Thanks!! But that means alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$