1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maintenance?!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by chcav1218, Jul 31, 2008.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I just bought a used Minute Mount I plow that I will be using this summer. Is there any annual maintenance that I should be doing? Also, how come its more of a 20 Minute Mount than a Minute Mount?!?!?!?! How can I speed up the mounting process so I'm not standing in the freezing cold tryin to get the damn thing on my truck? Lastly is it possible to lower the main lift piston when the plow it on the ground?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

For good PM you want to change the fluid every year, this includes a full flush not simply a drain and refill. Also remove and clean the pickup filter and go over all the pivot points and at least give them a shot of spray lube. But ideally, removing each pivot pin and lubing with a bit of chassis grease is best, but few guys will go that far so the spray lube is the next best thing.

Check over all the bolts and fasteners for wear and tightness. Make sure hydro hoses are still in good shape and replace any that are even questionable.

Clean all electrical connections and coat them with di-electric grease or a shot of Fluid Film. Don't overlook the electrical items on the truck side as well. 75% of plow troubles are due to loose or corroded plow wiring on the truck side.

You should be able to push the lift piston all the way down if you first put the controller in the float position (key on of course). If it's still really tight going down, it may simply be from lack of use and they will usually loosen back up after some use. Spray lube will hasten the results. Packings just get a little dry on the off season.

Are your trying to attach your "hour mount" on level ground (side to side)? Uneven ground makes them (and many plows) a bear. What exact procedure are you using?

3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I had the same problem with my MMI when I bought it...you will find through experimentation how to get it on your truck pretty quickly. If you don't lower the lift piston before detaching the plow from your truck you WILL have a very hard time getting it back on there when you need it. I have found my single biggest problem point to be when I dismount the plow and back out of the frame, if I don't have the plow resting on a pallet (I have an uneven gravel driveway, no garage available) and the lift piston all the way down tha tthe lift chain is simply not long enough to give me the slack needed to get the headgear onto the push plates far enough to click the pins into place...thats when its time to break out the floor jack.

Fisher's website actually has alot of great information. I suggest you go there and grab a copy of the owner's manaul and service manual for your plow, there is a complete set of mount and dismount instructions there. Beyond that, its just practice, practice, practice,

4. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I gotta ask, what are you using it for this summer?????? I'm not questioning your usage, I'm just overall jealous...

5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Oh im not really using it, but ive been doing a lot of work around the yard and I've had to move it

6. stillen

stillen Senior Member

I'm actually thinking of using mine to spread the top soild that as as just delivered to my house...

7. tls22

tls22 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah i have a very uneven driveway...so i put a block of would under my kick stand....makes it much easier!:nod:

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

hmm. idk about the top soil. ive got a pile of loam at the top of my drive way, and the plow was stting right next to it. i was very tempted but i figured i'd scratch the hell out of my driveway

9. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

Mainly just have the main raising and lowering ram compleatly down and itll be easier. Use Penetrating oil to loosen the packing and white lithium grease for the pins and pivot points.

WOW... You guys should post up on a new thread some vids of you pushing the top soil or something other than snow with your plow. I wont do it so id like to see what other people are doin with their plows in the summer.

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Bark Mulch, Top Soil...any other ideas?

11. stillen

stillen Senior Member

those pesky neighbor hood kids who won't stay of my lawn.

12. Jak

Jak Junior Member

I sorta wanted to ask the same question. I got my plow last year a 7' LD, didn't use it that much (maybe 12 times +/-) cause didn't get that much snow, now do I "have" to change the fluid in it or could I let it pass for now?

13. NorwayAuto&Plow

NorwayAuto&Plow Senior Member

You don't have to but it is a good idea. Depending on what kind of fluid you have in it, a change could save you a pump cleaning or replacement. Fisher sold a fluid that was mostly clear and instead of displacing the water to the top, it held the water in the fluid and caused it to gel up and clog the pump filter. They switched to what is now blue oil. We run our own kind of oil bought through a local comany that we believe works the best.

Where in New York are you located? A oil change with the good oil that we run only goes for $25.

14. Jak

Jak Junior Member

$25??? Damn, the dealer I bought my plow from said it'd run about $85. I'm here in Clinton N.Y. If your not too far from me, then I think I would have you change it, that's why I was kinda holding off.

15. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I know this post is old, but instead of starting a new one, I'll add on...
    I was thinking that I would like to change and flush the fluid myself this year. I usually take it to the local Fisher dealer and have them do it, but I am capable and have the extra time now, so, why not? My question is, how do I flush all the fluid out, and what do I flush it with. I have changed the fluid many times, but never actually flushed all the old stuff out. Any recommendations?
    BTW, I was also thinking of taking off the stainless "skin" off the truck and giving the frame a nice fresh coat of paint...anyone else do that?

16. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

Also, where is the pick up filter? Thanks

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can use the same type of fluid that your going to refill it with as a flushing media or pick up some of Meyer's Hydra-Flush. It's good stuff.

Filter is located at the bottom of the pick up tube in the fluid reservoir. Just pull the reservoir to access it. Also gives you the opportunity to get to the magnet for a good cleaning too.

18. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

and oldie but a goodie. One of my first posts :)

19. duramaxblade

duramaxblade Member

I'll give it a try next week. If I run into a problem, I holler for some help.

20. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

used it once yr help neighbor spread out big pile of gravel on his driveway.