1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

maintenance on 8' HD MM2?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by porabjr, Mar 31, 2013.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

Just bought a used 03 F350 with an 8 foot HD MM2 with 3 plug. No experience with a fisher so was wondering what you guys would recommend for summer maintenance. Plow operates as it should and not currently leaking. Looks like few lines have been recently replaced. Not used 12/13 season, but prior to that fluid changed annually. Cutting edge looks pretty good still aside from light surface rust. Has a western joystick controller. Any recos would be greatly appreciated.
  2. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid change, dielectric grease on all connections, I'd grease the exposed parts of the cylinders if you're storing it outside.
  3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

is is best to do a fluid change in the spring or fall? the fall right so it isnt sitting in the plow all summer long
    what kind of grease on the cylinders?
  4. porabjr

porabjr Member

If I do have to store it outside, I plan to put it up on a couple pieces of wood. Should I try to tarp it or at least zip tie platic bags over lights and headgear if I can?
  5. BBC co

BBC co PlowSite.com Addict

the motors have a history of letting water leak in to the system so covering it may be a good idea was thinking that myself. Think I may pull mine off the head gear and have the motor rebuilt and do all the pump orings etc over the summer if for nothing more then a solid back up even if I get another truck. But as far as the fluid goes when you do it get 2 new filters and change them as well and the oring/stem/filter comes as a pack the other filter you have to get seperate.

The grease for the cylinders I have had people tell me wd40 as well as white lithium grease but I don't know which if either is right. I have been told in the past not to use wd40 on sliding chop saws because of the slide arm seals it breaks them down i guess, maybe ask a dealer on that. (personally use the lithium grease stays on real good)

few other tips in this thread I just seen also.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013