1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maintenance items from the Walmart

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 2COR517, Jun 26, 2009.

1. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So, I've been buying my oil, filters, grease, etc from Walmart for years. Valvoline MaxLife synthetic blend oil, and Fram filters. Regular ordinary orange box. I did switch from the general purpose grease to the multi complex, or whatever they call it. The red stuff.

Am I practicing false economy here? Should I be buying AC Delco or Napa filters, and name brand grease? Every time I'm in Napa, I look at that oil filter comparison display and think maybe I should switch.

Any thoughts?

2. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

I would just keep buying what you have filter and oil wise. Make sure the grease is an EP 2 (extreme pressure #2) that is rated for disc brake wheel bearings, so you know it will handle the heat and pressure. Personally, I don't believe in extended oil change intervals as they don't work from my experience( 9 years fleet maintnance in the trucking industry). The way I see it is grease, oil and filters are cheap compared to a new engine, chassis/steering/suspension parts and the downtime.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I do pretty well with my oil changes, try for 2,500 miles. Always change the filter, and full grease job. And now I'm actually greasing the ball joints and outer tie rod ends halfway between oil changes. The grease is EP.

4. Bigfoot Brent

Bigfoot Brent Senior Member

Your maintenance plan is the same as mine! So I'd say stick with it:D

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I buy my Oil at Wally World. But I am not a fan of Fram oil Filters. So I just go Advanced Auto parts for a Mobil one filter or a K&N they are like $10.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Where you purchase isn't as critical as WHAT you purchase. Your eyes aren't deceiving you..avoid the orange. ;)

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

And since

Wally World is China's Largest customer and you can not trust chinese products to contain what they claim (dog food, toothpaste, etc...)
    perhaps it is critical where you DO NOT purchase things. Particularly since I often find I do better at my local Napa then I do in the Big Box Stores.

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have always bought oil and fuel filters from the dealer. For my trucks I go right to Ford and Toyota and my wife's Pathfinder I go right to Nissan.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

So Napa, AC Delco, or something else?

10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

So B&B what is wrong with the Fram filters ???? What would you recommend ??? I have been using the high mileage ones .... And Quaker State oil !!!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

fram oil filter use cardboard and cheap plastic bypass valve that can't hold oil in valvetrain it end go back to oil pan when you start you hear noise.

I been use walmart's supertech oil it seem they are good. I change at 3,000 miles on old engine but if engine is good then 5,000 or 10,000 miles.

For grease ball joint I use Lucas. It seem that ball joint on F250 last longer than before.

12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Purolator still makes a good product, but if you can find them definately go for a WIX, very good product and uses a fiberglass filter media, thats way tougher than paper; and I just had the debate of synthetic vs conventional with someone at the breakfast table this morning. IMO a good quality oil is all you need, whether syn. or conventional. Unless your talking about high horsepower, or truely abusive working conditions. Then I'd go with nothing other than royal purple. Good quality products are worth their weight in gold.

PS-WIX also makes air filters, and their oil filters have anti-drain back valving, that actually works.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Fram oil filters are not worth the cheap components that they're made of. Care to read an an email directly from one of their own engineers?....

"I worked for two years as the oil-filter production line engineer in
    an Allied-Signal FRAM facility and I can confirm every bad thing you
    have heard about FRAM automotive filters. That's from the horse's
    mouth, as it were.

I'm also a quality engineer and can confirm that FRAM applies no
    quality control whatsoever to any of the characteristics for which we
    buy oil filters. I frequently saw filter designs which were barely
    capable of meeting J806. Many of FRAM's designs will block and go to
    bypass after trying to filter very little contamination. There were
    often leakage paths at the paper end discs when these were not
    properly centered on the elements. Some designs had the pleats so
    tightly packed against the center tube that they would block off in no
    time. I had discovered that the FRAM HP1 that I had been buying for
    about $20 Cdn was EXACTLY the same as a PH8 inside - the only
    difference being a heavier can - no advantages in flow capacity. The
    paper filtration media was of apparently poor quality and the process
    of curing the paper resin was very inconsistent - elements would range
    from visibly burnt to white. FRAM's marketers admitted that there was
    just about no way the public could ever prove that an oil filter
    contributed, or did not prevent, engine damage. The only thing FRAM
    tested for was can burst strength. Another problem that they have from
    time to time is in threading the filter base - often there are strands
    of metal left behind on a poorly formed thread.

I have not used a FRAM filter since I started working there. Their
    claims are entirely and completely marketing BS."

And, don't waste your money on "high mileage" anything...it's nothing more than a marketing ploy and is unnecessary.

BTW, most of NAPA's filters are WIX filters (and so are those with the Carquest name) for those that don't have access to WIX but have a NAPA or Carquest local. Very good filters. In fact many of the commonly known oil filter names that we recognize when walking into a parts store are not even produced by the company name that's on the filter. Many name brand filters are actually manufactured by a common company call Champion Labs. This includes Deutsch, K&N, Mobile, STP. as well as OEM Mopar and many of the genuine AC Delco filters.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Both trucks are ready for service. On the hunt for WIX tomorrow. If I can't get them, we have both a NAPA and Carquest. My father was a mechanic back in the sixties and early seventies. Now that I think about it, I can remember him always buying WIX filters.

15. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

There you go,good choice, happy hunting.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

That reason Ford put recall on V8 5.4L on aftermarket oil filter because Stupid Fram.

Wix is good but it at Napa dealer. We don't have Napa nearby they are 15 miles away.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

15 miles is next door for these parts.

19. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

FWIW I've been using the Fram Tough Guard filters. Need to dig around, but some independant reviews I read said the design was quite good and they didn't cheap out on the materials or bypass valve.

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you don't consider cardboard end caps as "cheap" materials...which all the Fram filters use, regardless of the color or name on the exterior.