1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

maintance on plows

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Kingcuster, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Kingcuster

Kingcuster Junior Member

I own a western pro plow and was wondering what type of annual maintance should be done to it. I know you are supposed to change the fluids every year. Do most people do that every year or every other year. Also is there anything else i should be looking out for or doing periodically.

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

Change fluids every year check the angling rams for pitted or rust.
    Get some delectric grease and lube all connections check bolts to see if any came loose from all the vibration. Check hoses for cracks or dry rot. That's pretty much it.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What kinda western tho. Uni or ultra ?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

When I do a service I like to open them up and check the magnet too. The uni Isarmatics have no magnet so don't bother if that's what you have. And the new multiplex plows with the black plastic shroud have the reservoir on top and are much too troublesome to remove the reservoir so again just change the fluid, grease the swivel bar ends and as mentioned above. But if you have a flowstat with the tin reservoir on the bottom, pull the four screws holdign the reservoir to the valve body, then drop the reservoir. They you can pour the fluid out slowly and look for water or other contaminants. When it is empty pull the magnet and feel the stuff that is stuck to it. Should be just very fine magnetic mud. If you feel any grit or metal bits you have some advanced warning of impending failure. Then when all is OK, you can fill the reservoir open and put it back on saving the slow filling process.

If you have the old generation ultra-mount, before they put grease zerks on the pivot bar it is wise to make sure they are not seizing. I recommend drilling, tapping and installing grease zerks on both the pivot bar ends and the main bolt where the blade angles at the end of the A-frame. On V blades that is not practical and inefective on some of the smaller straight blades but on Wide-outs and full size straight blades its a great way to keep them from seizing up and costing you money down the road.

5. dieselss

Hey nick.....I'm doing our unis now,,,they all have magnets not sure if they are factory or someone put them in,,but so far 3 have magnets

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

How about using FF on all the moving parts ?... and any parts that can corrode

That stuff is amazing.....yucky, but amazing how long it lasts when sprayed on something. I even used it on my hedge trimmer and loppers. works like a champ.

7. mishnick

These are probably flowstat unis. That is they have the tin, removable reservoir. The Isarmatic uni has the aluminum housing and the intigrated lift ram. They don't come with magnets but I suppose you could put one in. Not sure if it would be good or not. I would be afraid that it might bounce around and crack (because there is nothing for it to stick to except the pump and motor shaft) sending bits of hard material into the pump. In the tin reservoir of the flow-stat it sticks to the bottom and never moves.

Hey Dogplow Dodge... What is this FF stuff? Please elaborate...

8. dieselss

Fluid film is what he's talking about. And ill snap a pick of the motors....no there unimounts.

9. snowmasters18

snowmasters18 Junior Member

Snoplowpro are you a dealer?

10. mishnick

I see now this FF is fluid fim corrosion film stuff. Thanks for that I will have to try it out.

Regarding the uni motors... Uni-mounts came with both the old Isarmatic and the flowstat hydro units.

11. Kingcuster

Kingcuster Junior Member

I got an ultra mount. thanks for the info

12. dieselss

Ok. Deff take off the tin canister and look at magnet. Look at filters. Make sure there cleaned and reinstalled properly. There's been many a thread about the filtes coming off abs causing issues

13. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My first year using it... and it works great. Gooey, but great......

Try to remember as you're walking past your plow not to rub your pant leg against it, otherwise, you'll get FF on your kitchen chairs......:mad:

14. mishnick

I look forward to evaluating this stuff, especially when I get it on my wife's furniture... That should be good for a couple choice words and a few thrown plates. LOL