1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by haligan125, Feb 8, 2004.

1. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

What do you all do for maintainence on your plow Both preseason and midwinter? Just curious to see what the trend is.
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Oh we could go on and on.
    Check fluids each storm.
    Check all the bolts on plow and mount.
    Look at tires check pressure.
    Check batteries fill water.
    Aim plow lights.
    Top off pump.
    Load paperwork in clip board.
    Fill gas tanks.
    Get sleep.
    Dream of snow!
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

To sum it up, make sure fluid is topped off and all nuts and bolts are tight.:waving:
  4. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

I may seem nureotic but Before every storm, I pop the hood, check ALL fluids and belts. I fire it up, I raise the plow, shake the heck out of it while looking at all points for movement, I check all bolts. Angle left, angle right. Turn on all lights, check all lights. Make sure tank is full, ballast is in the bed and secure, shovel is there..tools are in the boxes, hoses extra fluids are stowed. I check tires, no punctures or nails. Check turn signals, horn...etc.

Basicly I inspect the entire vehicle as if I'm going to be buying it all over again.
  5. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I drive down a bumpy road fast, if nothing falls off, I am good to go.:yow!:
  6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

bgringras: Sounds like what a pro driver would do.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Re: Re: Maintainence

8. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

one thing i forgot to add, during plowing months, oil changes are done at 1,000 miles. I also jack the front end once a month and check bearings, ball joints, etc.
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I thought this thread was about maint. on plows but any how I check all fluids on the truck also before each storm.:waving:
  10. bgingras

bgingras Senior Member

it is about plows, but isn't the truck 90% of the plow? In terms of the plow frame and components only, I change fluid before season, check all hoses before each storm. plus all of the above.
  11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

After each plow, when removing plow;I like to clean the rams and spray with Amsoil MP or something similar(WD-40). While doing this, Im looking for dings or rust on the rams and smooth them out with very fine crocus cloth if I find any. Then I push the lift ram all the way down into the cylinder.