1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maine Under A Storm Watch

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PlowMan03, Feb 20, 2004.

1. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Looks like us Mainers might get quite a bit of snow this weekend.
    This is what I just got from Weather.com:
    Severe Weather Alert from the National Weather Service

...CENTRAL PENOBSCOT ME-CENTRAL PISCATAQUIS ME-CENTRAL WASHINGTON ME- COASTAL HANCOCK ME-COASTAL WASHINGTON ME-INTERIOR HANCOCK ME- NORTHERN PENOBSCOT ME-NORTHERN PISCATAQUIS ME-NORTHERN WASHINGTON ME- SOUTHEAST AROOSTOOK ME-SOUTHERN PENOBSCOT ME-SOUTHERN PISCATAQUIS ME- 250 PM EST FRI FEB 20 2004
    ... WINTER STORM WATCH FOR SATURDAY AFTERNOON INTO SUNDAY EVENING...

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS OF 10 OR MORE INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ACROSS NORTH CENTRAL AND DOWNEAST MAINE FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATIONS ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY EVENING. THE SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET OR RAIN SATURDAY NIGHT ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST.

A WINTER STORM WATCH IS ISSUED WHEN HEAVY SNOW IS LIKELY TO OCCUR WITHIN ABOUT 2 DAYS. HEAVY... IS DEFINED AS 7 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IN 12 HOURS OR 10 OR MORE INCHES OF SNOW IN 24 HOURS.

YOU SHOULD STAY ABREAST OF THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT WINTER WEATHER....

I hope they are right :D
    Major payup for some of us

2. Chip Hedrick

Chip Hedrick Junior Member

Sounds like the worst of it may miss me down in northern Cumberland County. I was out in the yard this morning thinking about how little snow there is where I am, so little I was thinking about clearing brush this weekend (which I did two or three weeks ago).

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's a little bit more than they're predicting for interior Waldo County:

Snowfall Of 1 To 3 Inches Followed By A Coating Of Ice From Sleet And Freezing Rain Can Be Expected Across The Capital Region Of Central Maine Late Tonight And Saturday.

If that's it, really nothing to get excited about. I might get some sanding out of it, but basically people will just drive on 3" and think nothing of it.

I think they're supposed to get hit harder from Bangor on north.

4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

With my luck we will get a foot in southern cumberland county. My plow doesn't get put on until Monday.

5. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

Just when I was starting to think spring! Oh well...time to wear some of that rust off my plow and make a fewpayup .

6. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Looks like now most of Maine is going to get 6-12" from this storm payup :D

7. Mick

from Maine

3" to 6" for this area.

8. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

I have seen 4-8 on t.v. and 8-12 on the computer for here. It is 8:00pm and there is 2" right now. 4" would be fine by me...more of a money maker as my accounts don't want to be plowed until it is over.

9. Mick

from Maine

"Predicted 1-3" then 3" to 6" (see my posts above). Woke up to 10" and still falling.

Just plugged in the diesel.

Saddle up.

10. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm heading out in a few, got about 4 inches looks like it's tappering off. payup payup Need all I can get!!!!

11. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Welp....I have been out since Midnight I just got home at 6:30, right now I think there is 10 inches or more and it is still falling payup payup :D :D

I wonder how everyone else is doing?

12. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

It is just reaching here now. Just began to snow.payup :yow!:

13. newengland6

newengland6 Junior Member

Glad you all got what your looking for. I got up this morning. We may have 2" on the ground. (southern coastal region). Where's all the snow??? Is this Maine or what. I am beginning to believe there just might be something to all this globel warming talk.

14. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Global Warming?????? Its been cold as hell this winter but.....wheres the SNOW?

15. Mick

from Maine

I think it was literally too cold in January to snow.

16. ZR2plower

ZR2plower Member

We got 8" out of it. Been plowing since 5 this morning and have almost half of them done. Got seriously stuck winging one of my drives. It was an excavated ditch and if it wasn't for the snow I think the truck would have been on it's side. A bit of shoveling and 3 good pulls on a tow strap and she popped right out. One advantage to using a small truck is the ease of extrication. I didn't have the digital cam but took a few pics with my 35mm. Best stuck I have had in a long time. Back at it tomorrow, should be able to finish them up in 8 hours or so.

17. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

6" in Naples. Good little money making storm..payup payup

18. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

We got over a foot of snow yesterday, But is snowed another 4" last night, so needless to say I think everyone down here got there fair share of plowing :D
    Atleast it was light a fluffy, not wet and heavy.
    I hope we have more storms like that later on.

19. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

PlowMan03- Where are you at??

20. PlowMan03

PlowMan03 Senior Member
    from Maine

Q-Team Inc- I live near Blue Hill