1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Maine Snowplowers and landscapers HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtnzone, Feb 20, 2011.

1. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

History.

Hi First off just ot let you know ,I have a landscaping company in a four season resort town in Nh.

My Mom and Dad moved back to maine ( Brunswick area)from the southern states last year due to my DAD having multiple scelerosis. ( the Southern heat bothers people with this disease).

They have a 100 foot driveway with a small L off of it. Plenty of place to put snow.. Same guy who does their landscaping does their snow plowing. He is charging them $50 a storm under 10". Anything over ten inches is considered a double storm price..

In passing My Mom told me their pricing for a simple mow,trim, and blow on their 1 acre property (about 1/2 acre lawn). Not much trimming pretty standard areas and totally flat. MY dad didnt want to tell me due to pride but my mom approached me to ask me if what they were paying was right. I asked what it was and they told me $75 a trip. Anything else is usually by a per hour rate of $55 per man hours. Except for mulch they go by a set cost of $85 a yard (which is bed prep, actual mulch, and spreading)

I told them that was high in my area but each area is diffferent, but in all honesty I told them that I do think that is a high price. I would hope this guy isnt taking advantage of my parents. I do know that he does a few more in the nearby vicinity.

I know my cost of doing business and a lawn like theirs with other lawns nearby I would charge $50. but again that is in my area and I know my costs of maintaining my business.

As far as the mulch and hourly rate I wouldnt even hazard a guess as it depends on their costs, and if they buy mulch in bulk.. or just by the job.

Hope I can get a few more answers from you folks.. thanks.

Again

Im not looking for pricing to compete with you by any means. Just looking for honest answers to my parents question.So if you dont want to answer this in a public forum due to area competition in this post feel free to answer via PM.

2. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Those would be a little high (not outrageous though) for my area but I'm in rural eastern Maine. Their best bet is to get a few estimates from some other professionals to compare to. Since you're only in NH, perhaps you could even come up and meet with the potential contractors so you can ask the important questions.

3. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

are they happy with the work if so then the price is spot on

4. stargazer

stargazer Member

100 ft driveway? That is nothing, sure that's the actual size? Way too high for my area, and I always found NH to have higher prices than Maine.

Of course, I'm not looking at the drive, maybe it's straight down or straight up? Problems may justify the price.